Captive Chytrid Study - looking for participants

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The good news is... participation is free, and you don't need to be a TreeWalkers member. The bad news (for most of us) is... your collection must include Dendrobatid frogs in order to participate. Here's the scoop.

Captive Chytrid Study

The Amphibian Steward Network is pleased to announce it is conducting a study to determine the presence of the chytrid fungus, Batrachochytrium dendrobaditis, in captive amphibians. To obtain statistically relevant results from the sample size that current funding allows, initial sampling will be restricted to captive Dendrobatids as a baseline indicator of the prevalence of chytrid in captive amphibians in general (testing may be extended to other amphibian taxa as funding allows). Our goal is to collect samples from 125-150 participants to test amphibians in their collection along with a short survey to fill out. All materials and postage fees will be covered by the ASN.

Participants will be given the results of their test, but all information and published statistical results will be kept anonymous.

Everyone is encouraged to let other Dendrobatid keepers know about the project as the only requirements are those listed below. This is a fantastic opportunity to get a free chytrid test and contribute to a study aimed at increasing awareness of this important disease. Because the maximum number of participants for this study is 150, applicants who are members of the ASN will be given priority. The sign-up deadline is May 1, 2009.

Requirements:

* Participants must be located within the United States.
* Participants must have at least one Dendrobatid species. This is a targeted study for the presence within Dendrobatid collections, although it is okay if you keep other families of amphibians as well.
* Participants must fill out the survey included with the test kit. In order to obtain meaningful information from the study, we need data that will produce statistical results. The survey is very general, primarily multiple choice, and should take no more than 15 minutes to fill out.

Participants will be provided test kits that include instructions, collection swabs, storage tubes and gloves. The collection swabs are used on the animal’s skin to collect a sample which is then placed in the storage tube. Samples will then be mailed back (return postage is included) to the provided address for testing using polymerase chain reaction.

HOW TO SIGN UP:

To sign up, please email asn@treewalkers.org with the following information:

- Name

- Phone

- Mailing address

- Preferred contact method (e-mail, mailing address, or phone)

- Are you a member of TWI?

- Are you a registered ASN steward?

- Approximately how many enclosures do you currently have in your collection?

In the Netherlands and Belgium there is also a survey going on (coöperation between RAVON www.ravon.nl) and Ghent University (Belgium) for captive populations of all amphibians (why only when there are Dendrobatids involved is strange as many others species could be carriers...) and also in wild populations in the field o detect if it is out there or not.

Many people of the Netherlands hobbyists societies in keeping and breeding amphibians but also the volunteers who do amphibian monitoring are involved. Hopefully we will find too many infected populations, but we'll see.

That boggles my mind.
The basic reason for limiting the study to Dendobatids is for statistical significance. By limiting the study to one family of animals, they are limiting the number of variables. I can dig out a more detailed explanation and get some of the project leaders to comment on the study design if folks are interested.

They feel they can get the number of samples they need (I believe they are aiming for - and can afford - about 100 participants) without delving into other types of amphibians. Personally, I would find a study of all amphibians to be of much greater utility from a practical and personal standpoint, but the study is being constrained by statistics and variables. We could also speculate that it is being constrained by the biases of those who are planning it, but I don't know of any way to get around that. The fact is that the Dendrobatid community is significantly larger than the caudate community, and thus has more people willing to organize such projects.

The "chytrid-in-captive-dendrobatids" study is still taking participants. I encourage anyone with the required frog type to participate. It's free, and this study will provide valuable insight, even for those of us with other amphibians.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back