Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this ok?, PLEASE HELP ME!

Raylan

Reaction score
Me and my Father, a newt lover, were down at a creek behind my house. we saw some newt eggs on the bottom of a rock. There is snow in the forecast and he was worried about them freezing, I have a newt tank and because the are just eggs, would it be OK to take the rock and raise them in captivity? How is the best way to move them? Any info would be helpful. Thanks so much!:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It depends. Were they collected legally? Some states require you to have a fishing license, or other regulations. And are they of a protected species?

Even with snow in the forecast, a creek won't freeze over. These animals are well-adapted to the cold. The eggs will be just fine without outside assistance.

That being said, if you'd like to raise them, and can do so legally, we'd be glad to help you ID them and give you pointers on their care. Welcome to the forum!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's probably best to leave them where they are, unless you are really looking for another amphibian pet. They'll need a tank separate from your existing newt, otherwise your newt may eat them. It is unlikely they will freeze.

Raylan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, they are not a protected species, and this is a little creek where the fish get to be about an inch long at adult hood. I spoke with the owner of the creek as he was putting out meat for the wild hawks, and he said it was fine. As for the existing newts, I don't have them yet, but if I got them while I had the eggs, I'd put them in my OTHER newt tank because it would be horrible for them to be eaten. How much water would they need?
~Raylan

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what species are those eggs?

cg

Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that they may not be newt/sally eggs. Many fish will lay their eggs under rocks as well.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So if you don´t know what they are....how do you know they are not from a protected species?

Raylan

Reaction score
I was looking at http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/series_Cp.shtml and I believe the eggs are at the 18 day stage, I contacted the owner of the stream, and he said I was welcome to them. Snow and Ice is coming soon, I hope to take them in, does anyone know and pointers or tips for me? I have a tank for them, How much water should I put in it so I won't drown them (if that's possible)? How much and what kind of food should be in the tank, or no food at all? I'll be here doing research if you need me.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the animal in the picture is the only caudate in the area and therefore the species that laid those eggs, i´d say they are some kind of Eurycea?

Definitely not a paddletail, that´s for sure (paddletails are exclusively asiatic).

Raylan

Reaction score
It is going down to 30F and below, I do not have any newts at the moment, so i am planning to take the little newt eggs under my wing and raise them. The question is... how should I take the home, should they be in a bucket with water, or open in the air?

Critter Mom

Reaction score
If it were me trying to do this, (and I would probably just leave them well enough alone myself) I would transport them in the closest way to the way you found them. You don't want them to dry out. Take the rock with you if you need to and some river water if need be if you don't already have water that is dechlorinated in the bucket. Have a bucket or container big enough so they don't get impaled on the sides of the bucket with the rock and be super careful about handling the bucket, setting it down, and bumps in the road on the way home.

Good luck and keep us posted!:D

Raylan

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, but I fear I might be too late, there was a big snow today,so I naturally fear the worst. However, I will be going down to the creek to look at them. If I forgot to mention it, the owner and I build little habitats out of rocks, when he is done with that, he leaves cooked chickens out for the hawks. My mother says that I can take them home because I have all the supplies ready for them, and I don't have any newts at the moment. I will try to keep you posted every day, because the are almost ready to hatch!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!