Ambystoma Andersoni morphed!!!

asprine

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Display Name
Mario Rodriguez
My sister bought this Ambystoma Andersoni like 2 weeks ago, she posted a thread here about it http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?p=183900#post183900 and well, it's funny but due to temperature changes in Mexico City, the little thing morphed in like 2 days, from being an axolotl, larvae-like salamander into a full salamander, I've read around the internet that the morphing process of the neotenic specimenss can be quite stressing and painful for them, and can even result in their deaths! As you can see on my sister's thread the Andersoni looks like a neotenic specimen, we got it from a local aquarium where people don't seem to care much about this animals, so we felt it was our duty to save this baby. Now we're not that sure we should've done that, the salamander fully morphed and I have no idea of what I need to do to take care of it, should I keep taking care of the tank as if it was an Axolotl? What should I do to get it to eat? Will it suffer from the morphing process? I'm really curious on making this salamander a new addition to our amphibian zoo, so send me any advice!!!

Mario

If thats the case it might have been a tiger salamander after all.

From the pictures it looked like the pattern of an Ambystoma andersoni. It looked a little thin. I purchased an Ambystoma andersoni that was metamorphosed when I got it. I treated it exactly like I would a tiger salamander.

So how is he now? Right now the salamander is almost fully morphed, and it's eating right out of our hands, so that's good, when should I start putting the moss and everything for the fully morphed salamander? How do I do this without stressing it?

Just be sure it has land when it wants to get out of water, if there isn't it could possibly drown. I recomend setting up a semi-aquatic terrarium for the time being.

the semi aquatic tank is ready!! so here's my next question! How do I keep the tank cold :S this spring heat is stressing me! I wouldn't want to know what it does to the Salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back