Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Backgrounds as bottoms

NanaLuke

Reaction score
I was thinking about those backgrounds that you can buy for aquariums that look like a rock wall type thingo. Do you think this could be used on the ground of the tank as well? instead of running substrate that could be swallowed or just a plain glass bottom. Can anyone think of anything that might be a problem with this?

Thanks in advance,
Luke

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. I am an advocate of plain glass bottoms for axies. It makes keeping their tank clean so much easier.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
The only problem I could see with this idea is if it isn't sealed around the edges then gunk could find it's way underneath causing problems with water quality, you wouldn't want to be lifting out the whole base of your tank every day to clean! Perhaps if you made it a really close fit and sealed with silicon then it would work.
I can imagine it would look great and if it works out for you I would think about trying it for myself!

NanaLuke

Reaction score
It won't be going under the tank, because if it did, it would not sit flat! I'm talking about the 3d rock background thingys. Yeah I might see if I can get one that will fit the base of my tank snugly, only thing is that a lot of them are VERY overpriced! Will keep you posted if I end up doing it.

Cheers for the feedback boys and girls.

b00f

Reaction score
That's a really good idea.

As the others have stated, stuff getting underneath is a huge problem.
But if you could cut/file it down to meet the size of your tank, that would work I guess...

Attaching plants and stuff will be a task too :p

Last edited by a moderator:

doktordoris

Reaction score
I know what you mean about overpriced!

On saturday I decided to buy a new tank for my axies when I get them, which in a way defeats the whole point of getting them, as I only wanted them to put in a spare tank I had! But the tank is only 2 ft by 1ft by 1ft and from what I have read here that is way too small.

So I had the immense good fortune to find a 220gal tank with a base that has cupboards in it for only 50 quid!

But anyway, I saw the spongey sculptured back and bottoms for the tank and decided Id like one, till I saw the price-200 pounds!

NanaLuke

Reaction score
I know what you mean about overpriced!

I saw the spongey sculptured back and bottoms for the tank and decided Id like one, till I saw the price-200 pounds!

JEEPIZ - If my calculations are correct - that's a lot of New Zealand Dollars!!!

nomoremind

Reaction score
They have this stuff at home improvment stores that is 16x20 sheet of decorative plastic that goes on windows. It's like those little "stickers" that you put on window and the picture is on the outside of the glass, the stick with static I guess. They's look nice, be a little less exspencive and hold nicely to the underside of the glass, so no worry about having to clean underneath is in the tank. I've been thinking about it myself...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1