Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The light and heat for brine shrimp

salamandergal

Reaction score
After my inital failure at hatching brine shrimp, due to lack of detailed directions from an ebay vendor, I've decided to give it a go again, in case my fire salamanders have offsring later.
If I use a goose neck desk type lamp with a 160 watt light bulb, how close should I put it over the hatching set up? Do I leave it on overnight?
Its strange, but I"ve never noticed much information about this. Thank you ahead of time for the answers to these questions.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Light is not necessary. Heat is. Keep the water warm so the brine shrimp hatch quicker. You want to make sure aeration is adequate.

Lots of instructions around the net, brineshrimpdirect.com has a pretty good one IMO.

But with firesalamander larvae...I've never raised them but I think they come out big enough to take daphnia and blackworms. In that case Artemia nauplii would be an uneeded inconvenience.

benw

Reaction score
Hi
I use the heat from a small spot lamp to heat my water for hatching brine shrimp.
Its positioned about 50mm away and heats it to about 23c.
Sounds a bit hit and miss, but it works for me, i did it when i had no young to feed, found the right distance needed to heat the water and then wired on a metal rod onto the hood of the lamp so that it touched the bottle for hatching and so i knew it it was the right distance to do so.
Hope that makes sense, it works for me.

And after all that my salamandra larvae are too big for brines so i use whitworms and blood worm instead!!!

Ben

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've hatched them with neither light nor heat (in the dark in the basement). At cool temp, they take 2-3 days to hatch, but they do fine.

If, after several tries, you find that few (or no) brine shrimp hatch, you should suspect that the batch of eggs is simply no good. I once bought a batch on eBay that turned out to be non-hatchable. The eggs have a shelf life of a year or less, unless they are stored under perfect conditions.

Joseph and Ben are right - fire sal larvae hatch relatively large so you might not even need BBS. But it's still a good idea to make sure if the BS eggs you bought are good or not.

Reaction score
I have them at room tempature, and all of them hatch within three days. I also have no light. It took me a couple times to get the hang of it too.

salamandergal

Reaction score
Hi all,
Thank you for the useful information.
I wonder now if the eggs were not viable.

OZIRIS

Reaction score
Recently, I have discovered a new method to hatch brine shrimp. It's sold in pet shops and is known as Artemia hatchery dish. No extra-light or aireation is needed and it seems quite easy to hatch artemia with this dish (at least the shop assistant ensured it to me). Finally, I didn't buy the dish because I found daphnia but I will take it into account in the future.

I leave some information : http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/equip-shrimp-hatchery-c115.html
IMG_0003-1.jpg

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I have better luck hatching with moderate aeration, no light except ambient, and no heat. I do not use the cone method, instead I hatch in a 6 quart plastic shoebox. I use Brine Shrimp Direct grade A cysts which I have decapsulted and use regular non-iodized table salt. I get an extremely high hatch rate within 18 hours of adding the cysts to the salt water. To harvest, I shine a xenon bulb flashlight into the side of the box and stop aeration. After about ten minutes, all the napuli swim to the light so I suck them out with a turkey baster into a #4 plastic coffee filter lined with a disposable paper filter. Once I have the amount of napuli harvested I want, I rinse the napuli with bottled spring water and then add the napuli to the rearing tanks.

I came up with this method after many many crashed cultures due to too much aeration, too much heat, or a combination of the two.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I've seen that little gadget. Is it worth the $$?

also saw one that supposedly you add eggs to continually and the shrimp somehow swim out of the contraption(which hangs in the tank) into FW?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!