Illness/Sickness: A bit fuzzy around the tail

wyogirl2007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy. My axie (Rose) seems to be fuzzy around the tip of the tail. I am guessing this could be bacteria in a wound. There is no major wound and no difference in color...one of the other axies could have nipped her tail. How do I treat this? I have Holfretter Salts(spelling?) that i order when I got her from the Univ of Kebtucky. She seems healthy other than that.

Also i have a wild type, a normal and a white/ Leut... (Rose). Are the other 2 liekly to pick on Rose because of color issues???

.... I have not witnessed the agression.

Thanks for the hep,
Allyson

Hi Allyson,

The wound will heal by itself. Just ensure that the water quality, temperature and nutrition are all well met. Do you have a photo of the tail tip? It would be a good idea to establish if its a secondary fungal infection (does it look fuzzy and cottony?). A fungal infection will require salt baths but before that, please try get a photo posted just to avoid unnecessary treatments.

Cheers.

Hi Rayson:
I really appreciate your dedication to assisting us rookies with our problems. Unfortunately the camera I used to post pictures last time was stolen...the hazzards of teaching high school. I have nothing. Here is my best description:

No major amount of tail missing.
No change in coloring what so ever...a white colored axie
Behavior seems unaffected by the "wound"
The smallest axie in the tank
The only reason I think she has a wound is because of the "white" ball of fuzz surrounding the tip of her tail...not a big ball of fuzz..but noticeable

Any other specifics I can describe?

Also another question arose. My largest "wild type" who has surrived all previous tank issues. Has a white spot on his belly about the size of a dime. No other noticeable symptoms and it has not grown in the past 3 weeks...Could it be a part of his color? Also he is definately dominant in the tank and seems to be getting lazy and obese. I have never seem him be aggressive though.

By the way the tank set up seems to be working flawless and I removed all large pebbles and smoothed out the sand...I could smell the ammonia when I did this...since this I don't think I have any environmental problems...although the probelms mentioned above could relate to past environmental problems. All axies seem to be eating, gills look good, all are growing.

So my Questions:

1. the ball of fuzz..how do I treat it?
2. The white spot...should I be concerned?
3. Can axies be obese?
4. Do I need to divide the tank? Seperate axies?

Thank you for your time and effort,
Allyson

Rayson: Some of my earlier observations were a bit off. I took some pictures with my phone and as soon as I figure it out I will post them...by tonight

wild type: white spot is getting a bit bigger and I noticed a red sore behind his arm

Also on the white one: Fuzzyness gone since yesterday...slightly red on tip.

after a lot of time got pictures of both I will post.

Their behavior is good still.

Thanks,
Allyson

Sorry I write to you with all of my issues but there are no vets around here that have even heard of an axolotl...not a common American pet. I even an asked an exotic vet and she had no idea what they were...so i trust this site best. By the way I have ordered the book...i am trying.

Here are the pics. Please respond. I am concerned. Also anything else I should do with the tank?

Thank you so much,
Allyson

Attachments

• ernest's spot.jpg
    ernest's spot.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 280
  • rose's tail.jpg
    rose's tail.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 322
  • tank 1.jpg
    tank 1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 258
  • axies.jpg
    axies.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 282
picture number 1, is rather dark, i can see the spot, but i cant see it that well,

picture 2, looks like a bit mark from another axie.

keep an eye on size of wound, and colour.

Can you better describe the smell you got when you moved the rocks? If pockets of sand become anaerobic, you might get a whiff of swampy smell. But your sand looks like a fairly thin layer, so I don't know how this would happen. If it really was an ammonia smell, you need to get the water tested ASAP and take immediate measures to bring down the ammonia level.

HI Allyson,

I am also concerned about the ammonia smell. I second Jen's suggestion to get the water parameters tested. Ammonia levels would have to be rather high for it to be detected from smell alone. If indeed the levels are high, i would recommend you fridge each axie individually and perform daily water changes while performing regular smaller changes on your main tank to bring it down. High ammonia levels can cause toxicity. Toxicity refers not only to external skin trauma due to chemical burns but also can accumulate in the bloodstream as well and cause anything from neurological signs, anaemia to clotting defects.

1. the ball of fuzz..how do I treat it?

If water parameters, temperature and nutrition are well met, a clean wound will be able to heal itself without incident. Secondary infections by fungus will require salt baths. If the wound site is small, i would suggest you try fridging for a week first and see if it helps. If progress is slow, then you can proceed to salt baths.

2. The white spot...should I be concerned?

Yes. The red sore and white spot are both likely to be pathology. I highly doubt its pigmentation. Red spot, i suspect it looks like an ecchymosis (bruise patch). Normally bruises don't appear so defined in a spot like that unless there is a focal physical trauma or there is blood clotting problem. Check ammonia levels.

White spot could be a secondary bacterial infection or ulcerative lesion. This is especially so since you observe the site growing rapidly within a short period.

Current suggestion. Fridging. Fridging your axie will destress it, boost its immune system and render harmful pathogens (both bacterial and fungal) less viable.

- Set your fridge to about 4-5 degree celsius.
- Put your axie in a container large enough to allow it to stretch its limbs and tail comfortably.
- Fill with fresh dechlorinated water enough to submerge it but not allowing it to float.
- Cover with a lid. You can use a perforated lid or netting to prevent it jumping out.
- Use a tea towel to cover it to keep the environment dark.
- Perform 100% water changes daily with clean dechlorinated water.
- You can pre prepare bottles of water in the fridge.
- Continue to offer a variety of nutritious food daily. Try live wriggly food like blackworms, bloodworms, earthworms. You can also try the usual pellet, offer treats of shrimp and fish etc. Otherwise you can also blend everything in a food processor and then roll the resultant mash into a pea sized ball to try offer your axie. Remove uneaten food within 20 min.

I would try fridging your axolotl for 2 weeks and continually monitor for improvement. Please update on the progress every couple of days.
http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

3. Can axies be obese?

Yes. Compare the size of the midsection of the axie (thorax and belly region) with the width of the head. An obese axie will be significantly wider around its midsection compared to the head. Take note that the limbs and throat region should not look swollen. If the entire axie looks swollen all over, that could be bloat! An obese axie is not a healthy axie. It puts strain on the internal organs. A diet will be necessary. Slowly taper down the volume of food per serve. If you are feeding high fat type treats like mealworms, do cut them off completely.

4. Do I need to divide the tank? Seperate axies?

If you suspect the axies may be accidentally wounding each other, especially while currently there are open wounds. a tank divider might prove useful. If you are concerned of an infectious disease or you wish to monitor individual axie health and nutrition, i would recommend housing them individually for the time being, fridge or otherwise.

Cheers.

Hi everyone:
Thanks for the replies.

Awhile ago I posted a pic of my set up to get input. I was told the sand was to deep and to change that(I had the chiller coil submerged in sand). It was when I made this change that I noticed the smell. I will test the water...but I have had several water changes since then.

Also with reguards to Ernest's spot. The red part(size if an eraser) sticks out a bit...like a blister. Sorry the pic is dark..I don't think I can do better.

I will get the set up ready to fridge him..it makes me nervous to fridge them beause I lost an axie that way...Do you think a salt treatment is necessary...from what I read it sounded fungal.

Also do I need to somehow clean the system?

Thanks!!!!
Allyson

Also the pic of them together was pretty cute wasn't it...Ernest, Axel and Rose

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back