new setup!

Jadore axolotl

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
well i finally got rid of the gravel in bobs tank so here is what it looks like now:
his tank:
vhq17a.jpg

The filter i made using the power head from the under-gravel filter that was in the tank:
213etf8.jpg

and lastly bob herself:
2us8wab.jpg

so does it all look axie safe? i have the flow from the power head turned down to its lowest and a net over the top of tthe filter so that bob cant get to the gravel! also i removed what i think he cut his tail on before, a plastic hide i had made from a tub but i replaced it with a flower pot. also does the sand look suitable for him?

Very nice,bob is a good looking axolotl :happy:

I would worry about some of the larger pebbles in the substrate. I would also provide a shadier hide than the flower pot. Also, the plants that are in pots have that wooly stuff - that needs to be removed, as does the lead ring around the plants, should there be one.

Maybe group the plants around the front of the pot to make the hide darker? Those plants also work well as floating plants, and as such would provide more shade to the water below, too.

Bob is looking lovely, by the way. :happy:

-Eva

ok i'll take out the wooly stuff today. i was actually already afraid of the little pebbles being a little big and already took a few out but i guess i can keep picking them out as they surface!
as for the pot do you think if i broke a hole in it and turned it upside down it would be better? He was in the pot last night but he usually uses the other hide!

as for the pot do you think if i broke a hole in it and turned it upside down it would be better? He was in the pot last night but he usually uses the other hide!

Yes I think that's a great idea.

Edit: as long as you sand the hole so that the edges are not sharp.

-Eva

Last edited:
i actually didnt break is i just turned it upside down and tilted it so that one side is burried and the other is above the sand.... he went into it the second i done it and is still in there!

she still hasn't come out of it!
is that better now? and does anyone else have any more suggestions as to what to do?
zthfn5.jpg

haha That is a darling picture - I'd say she likes it. Or she's stuck, and can't get out. (Just joking.) :p

-Eva

ok today i got her another new hide as the "oil burner" wasn't very attractive looking!
24yqybl.jpg

Looking good!

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back