Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank Setup + Help a Newbie!

kCm

Reaction score
Hello all! I recently changed my set up from this

3197191745_d3436cfdd5.jpg

to this:

3388681648_c3d3e78473.jpg

Not too different but I got a new cave and wanted a little change.

I am still awaiting my axies. I am hoping to have them by the beginning of next month. My tank is fully cycled. The fish are going to a new home once they arrive so they don't pick at my little babies. I also plan on reducing the air stone size, I believe the size I have now produces too much water movement. If I am wrong please let me know. Also if anyone has any wonderful tips for a newbie please feel free to drop them here I would greatly appreciate it.

Just some notes on what I already have:
30 gal tank
6 inch airstone (to be reduced to a 1 inch)
a few live plant bulbs (to grow in the tank)
2 apple snails
5 rosies (to be removed when axies arrive)
Sand sunstrate
Plastic plants
Salmon Pellets from UofK

I may have forgotten something so bare with me. But please feel free to suggest anything. I am open to constructive critisism and helpful hints. Thanks all!!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
The apple snails will have to go in my opinion. The fish can stay if you do not mind them becoming axolotl snacks. Apple snails will actually feed on your axolotl's skin and gills if given the chance. I also agree with your analysis of the air stone, however, I would merely add a control valve to the air line rather than replace the entire stone. With your set up an in line check valve would also be a good idea. You can get these valves at any aquarium supply shop.

Other than that, looks like a pretty good set up to me.

Caudata Culture and the Axolotl site have the best information on this topic. You can find the links at the top of this page.

Also, I just wanted to congratulate you on doing it the right way: Setting up the tank BEFORE you even buy the critters to go into it. Good on you! I wish everyone was this patient and careful!

kCm

Reaction score
The apple snails will have to go in my opinion. The fish can stay if you do not mind them becoming axolotl snacks. Apple snails will actually feed on your axolotl's skin and gills if given the chance. I also agree with your analysis of the air stone, however, I would merely add a control valve to the air line rather than replace the entire stone. With your set up an in line check valve would also be a good idea. You can get these valves at any aquarium supply shop.

Other than that, looks like a pretty good set up to me.

Caudata Culture and the Axolotl site have the best information on this topic. You can find the links at the top of this page.

Also, I just wanted to congratulate you on doing it the right way: Setting up the tank BEFORE you even buy the critters to go into it. Good on you! I wish everyone was this patient and careful!

hmmm I thought it would be the other way around (minus the snack part). My rosies have grown quite large and I figured they would be too large of a snack for my juvie axies and they would be more prone to pick at them than my apple snails. The apple snails are quite slow and docile, whereas the rosies pick on everything in the tank even the snails.

I will most defenately look into the valve thing. Thank you for that tip. I do already have a smaller airstone if that plan falls through.

Also thanks for the compliment. I didn't feel it was right to get the tank set it up and throw the axies in right away. I wanted to have it fully cycled and have everything I needed before they come, didn't feel fair to them to just have them go along with my trial and stress of cycling the tank and actually having a new tank in the house!

Markw

Reaction score
What color form of axies are you getting? I really like the idea of the black sand. Very appealing. Beautiful tank btw. +1 on the air valve.

Mark

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi kCm,

The best tank mate for an axolotl is an axolotl have a look at the species mixing disasters page on www.axolotl.org and you will see why.

Last edited by a moderator:

kCm

Reaction score
What color form of axies are you getting? I really like the idea of the black sand. Very appealing. Beautiful tank btw. +1 on the air valve.

Mark

Thanks! I love the black sand, it matches well with my living room and the tank stand. As for color forms, I am getting a leucistic and wild type.

Hi kCm,

The best tank mate for an axolotl is an axolotl have a look at the species mixing disasters page on www.axolotl.org and you will see why.

Well I am getting a pair of axolotls and as I have said before my snails are very docile. In fact, they retreat into their shells even when the fish swim by. I honestly don't think they will ever attach themselves to the axies nor be eaten by them. If I see them becoming a problem I will remove them. Right now there are just in the tank to do their job and clean.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi kCm.

Sorry I gave you the wrong link. Try this one Caudata Culture - Species Mixing Disasters. Even snails have been known to cause direct and indirect problems for axolotls. That having been said there are people who house them with axolotls without issues.

Alot of keepers find that the increase in bioload from snails outweighs the benefits.

Please do check this link.

Good Luck

kCm

Reaction score
Hi kCm.

Sorry I gave you the wrong link. Try this one Caudata Culture - Species Mixing Disasters. Even snails have been known to cause direct and indirect problems for axolotls. That having been said there are people who house them with axolotls without issues.

Alot of keepers find that the increase in bioload from snails outweighs the benefits.

Please do check this link.

Good Luck

Thank you for the info I appreciate it. I still think I am going to keep them for now. I will keep a close eye on my tank and if someone seems to curious or I notice any changes I will remove them. I don't wish any harm on any of my pets and I have known some who have successfully kept snails and axies together without issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1