Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can someone help tell me if my Axolotls is sick?

Derm

Reaction score
Can someone tell my why my axolotl has kind of a red tint to the thick part of his tail? Is it part of its coloration or something else? its been this way for as long as I can remember. Also I've noticed some white marks on him near his lower leg, could it be a bite/scratch mark, coloration or a fungus? I will get a picture as soon as i can. He has had it for a while and I just noticed one on the other side also?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 253
  • GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-1.aspx.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 201

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Derm,

The pics are a bit fuzzy on my monitor but from what I can tell, the coloration is normal. Axolotl pigmentation develops over time, so you may just be seeing the normal aging process. If you can get clearer shots of the white parts, that might help if you are still worried.

-Eva

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with slimer and eva.

Looks like normal axololt colouration to me

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Derm,

Do not worry. Your axolotl is normal. There is a caudal artery (tail blood vessel) coursing through the length of the tail, with a thicker diameter and many branching arterioles and capillaries situated around the base of the tail, hence lending the pinkish tinge. This is more apparent in light coloured axolotls. I am afraid i can't see the white marks on the legs to comment.

Cheers.

Derm

Reaction score
Here are pictures of my axolotl Dickery, he has a mark on his head that has been there for a while. I was wondering if it was from running into something or some kind of fungus. I hope that I am worrying over nothing. Thanks for any info

Attachments

• GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-3.aspx.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 212
  • GetAttachment-4.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-4.aspx.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 197
  • GetAttachment-5.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-5.aspx.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 190
  • GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-6.aspx.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 240
  • GetAttachment-7.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-7.aspx.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 214

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
How long is "awhile"? Cause if it's been there for a few weeks or months then I would say it's not fungus and maybe he just ran into something and has a scar now (if they can get scars).

Derm

Reaction score
Sorry, probably for 4-6 months. Can not remember when i noticed it but i know its been there looking at me for a long while now

Derm

Reaction score
Great, thanks, he is kind of a recluse except when its dinner time but I was just wondering if it was something more

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Derm,

I concur with the others. It looks like natural markings to me.

One of my axolotls has very similar markings on her face:

picture.php

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Derm,

The mark on the axie's head appear to be normal pigmentation and is not a cause for worry.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1