Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick axies, happened over night

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Hi all,

today i've noticed that both my axies (zak and miri) have both developed white, fluffy area's on their tails and over their eyes, the gills haven't been affected yet on one of them, and looks like the other might be developing something too.

I haven't done anything to stress them out from what I know of, the last water change I made was about a week ago.

I've attached a few pictures of each to show you whats happening, any ideas?

The last picture was taken about 2 weeks ago and you can see the difference on his eyes between then and now.

Attachments

• 11042009110.jpg
    11042009110.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 11042009111.jpg
    11042009111.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 11042009113.jpg
    11042009113.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 11042009114.jpg
    11042009114.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 23032009107.jpg
    23032009107.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 142

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

its a fungus and you should give him a saltbath for 10-15 minutes 2-3 times per day.
2 teaspoons of uniodised table salt per litre of dechlorinated water. Make sure to dissolve the salt before putting your Axie into the water.
Continue with the saltbaths (4-5 days minimum) until the fungus completly dissappeared.

best wishes, Tina

ianclick

Reaction score
I agree with Tina, looks like fungus.

I suggest fridging your axies for a week or two while you do the salt baths and have a good look at your water quality and temperature

Good Luck

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Raggamuffin,

My sentiments and thoughts are with the others. Fridging and saltbaths will be the treatment of choice for fungal infections. You can also use a Q-tip cotton bud to gently tease off flakes or loosely adhered clumps of fungal while in the saltbaths. However, do not roughly scrape them by force. Try to minimise discomfort as much as you can. A tip will be to twirl the q-tip surface (like how you twirl the fork to have spagetti) to roll threads of fungal filaments away from the axie's skin instead of direct skin contact.

One other aspect i think i should bring to your attention is that, fungal infections are opportunistic. They tend to occur when there is something not right in the tank environment. Have you checked your tank parameters, temperatures, currents? Do test your water parameters and temperature in particular.

Cheers.

Raggamuffin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Cheers for the advice, I'll keep you posted on what happens, Something must have happened to the tank to stress them I think, their tales seem to be curling up as well and one seems to be having trouble keeping his back legs to the floor.

I'm guessing it's all connected some how. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!