Hullo,

doktordoris

Reaction score
Country
England
Hiya chaps,

I have accidentally discovered an urge to own axolotyl!

This year my Koi pond was FULL of frog spawn, so much so that I removed it all, bought a tank, and carefully raised the tadpoles in a tank (boy do 200 tadpoles in a tank make the water dirty!, I was having to empty and clean twice a day!) Then a few days ago I dug a new pond at my Grandparents house, lined it, planted it, and transfered 150 small frogs to it (a few had died whilst growing up )-: ).

So now I have an empty tank, but I really enjoyed owning the tadpoles.

So I have decided that axolotyl would be an ideal replacement. I already own 2 fish tanks with the normal variety of mixed tropical fish in them, and 1 tank with just angels, so keeping things in tanks is nothing new to me.

I have PMed someone on this board who has axolotyl spawn for sale.

So, whilst waiting for a reply, I decided to say hullo.

cheerio

karl

Now you've discovered that urge you will realise how addictive they are!

Welcome to the forum!

From a fellow axolotl owner!

Thankyou, Iam utterly entranced by the funny little things (although not as little as I originally thought! I can't believe how big they can grow!)

Iam delighted to have found this site, I have soo many questions and this site seems to be an amazing resource.

Hi & welcome.

If you don't want to kill your axolotl in the first week you need to read this site.. http://www.axolotl.org/

Read all the sections - its really not that much and it'll answer a lot of questions. When you're done and your mind is swimming with more questions - re-read the section.

If you still have questions - you can do a search in the axolotl section of this forum. Over the years practised and newbies alike have managed to ask a HUGE variety of questions.

Even after a scant 5 years of owning axolotls I STILL come up with questions. At least this addiction isn't illegal...

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice.

As I said I haven't got an axie yet, because I want to know ALL about them before I get one. This forum really is great I have made a donation already, I love sites with no advertising!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back