Hiya

ctene

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I'm a biology major (well, now I am at least) in college in southern Louisiana. This semester I decided to take the herpetology class offered and I think I may have finally found something that really interests me. I haven't really kept any pets for a while since I'm a poor college student with a varying schedule but I'm really tempted to start up again. I'm mainly concerned that it may be too hot here in southern Louisiana to safely keep any caudates. Solutions may be a bit too expensive and hurricanes knocking out power is another worry.

For now though, I'm quite happy to go out and just look for various herps in the field. This area really does not have many caudates so I have only seen them when heading north or east on field trips. A few things we have found on our trips off the top of my head (names may not be up to date):

Ambystoma opacum
Plethodon serratus
Eurycea quadridigitata
Eurycea cirrigera
Eurycea guttolineata
Plethodon mississippi
Desmognathus conanti

Eurycea/Desmognathus larvae (not sure)
Ambystoma maculatum egg masses
Ambystoma talpoideum larvae
various Ambystoma larvae on the last trip (not sure what, one was an interesting "mutant" whitish-yellow with black tail)

I'm still hoping to find an amphiuma, siren, central newt, or mudpuppy/waterdog one of these days.

Hello ctene, nice to meet you! You have an interesting background. Have you taken any pictures of your findings? I would love to see them if you have. If you have not, it is never too late to start!:D

Have a wonderful time discovering the wonderful world of caudates!
Hope to see more of you,
Critter Mom

Hey ctene,

Where y'at? I'm from New Orleans, living in Germany now. Nice to see someone from back home.

Welcome to the Forum,

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back