Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello From Oregon

necromantica

Reaction score
Weirdest thing, never really saw myself owning salamanders or newts for that matter. But I raise iguanas, snakes, ectra. Some neibor children found a couple rough skinned newts outside at the park and ended up bringing them to our house because they're mother said they couldn't keep them. Anyways now they are staying here, I have built them a nice little semi aquatic tank with fake and real plants ectra. I couldn't just return them to they're home because it promoted a moral dilema. They are highly toxic if consumed, and the creek they lived in just happened to be on a toddler park... Being a mother, I couldn't take them back they're some kids could get very ill from them. So here they are lol. :D
Anyways thats pretty much my story.

Paratrooper

Reaction score
hello :D I hope they are happy in thier new home safe from the tyrannous toddlers and thier cookie fingers :p

necromantica

Reaction score
Oh yea almost forgot to mention, one of the lizards is well verry much so fatter then the other. Its belly is also much harder then the other. Could it be pregnant? If so do I need to make any sort of changes or do they just work everything out normally?

Paratrooper

Reaction score
hmm not sure about that one maybe eggs in there... i bet someone on the help forums could help you with that :D

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

Welcome to the site!

You will receive faster responses to your queries by posting to the Newt and Salamander Help section of the forum.

If you could include a photo of the fat newt, this will assist members in ascertaining if the newt is gravid (carrying eggs), or if there is a health problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1