Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

I simply could wait no more.....

doktordoris

Reaction score
I couldn't wait any more for spawn from one of the forums members, so today I went into my favourite pet shop and ordered one. It will come on Thursday next week, which is nice as the day before, the 22nd is my 35th birthday. So he/she will be a birthday gift to me.

I asked for an albino type, but they can't guarantee that so Iam quite excited to see what I get. Iam sure it will be a nice one, as the shop is really conscientious when it comes to supplying animals, and who they will or won’t sell them to.

For instance today whilst I was in the fishy section a lady and a small child walked up and waited to speak to a member of staff. They stood for 5 mins in front of a big sign saying "no filter-no fish, we will only sell fish to people that have a tank with a filter. Thank you". Then when the staff member came up to them the lady said-
'my little kid wants a goldfish'
staff-
'do you have a filter in your tank?'
'Tank? no, we have a goldfish bowl'
'well Iam sorry, we only sell fish to people with a proper tank with a filter, we would never sell a fish to someone who will use a fishbowl, sorry'

The lady was really pissed off and was quite rude, but the staff member wouldn't budge nor would she recommend another shop with less stringent selling rules to the lady.

Good shop, eh?
I was really chuffed because I loathe goldfish bowls. Imagine designing something to have the largest quantity of water with the smallest surface area.
Anyway I have gone a little off topic, but I’m just excited about the new chum Iam getting in a week and 2 days.
Thanks for reading my waffle.
cheerio

b00f

Reaction score
Thats strange,

What about a Betta tank, they usually dont have a filter...
This place sounds rather "up themselves".

I would just say you have a "bowl filter".
Very strange though.

OT: Good luck with the axie, get some pictures up quick smart :p

Depleted

Reaction score
Wow dok, i wish more shops like that existed.

I hope you get what you wished for ;) and congratulations on turning 35 mwahaha

doktordoris

Reaction score
Ha, I now can't even wait 'til next thursday for my ordered axie!

So I just ordered another from blades biological supplies, which should arrive tomorrow. So Iam going to have 2. Woo Hoo!

I wonder how the little sweetie will be packaged?

The axie costs 20 pounds and the postage and packing is 18 pounds!
I dont want to sound heartless but should I check that it's alive before I sign for the parcel?

Anyhoo, Ill be posting a piccy of my new chum tomorrow.

Another thing, concerning 'cycling' I haven't finished setting up my monster 220g tank so he/she will be going in my smaller tank.
The smaller tank contains water that was boiled and left to stand overnight 2 days ago, since then it has had 5 tadpoles living in it. Will it be okay to pop my axie in this water, or should I chuck it and reboil some more?

Opinions please.

Thanks everyone#

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Firstly congratulations on getting your first axolotl!

I've never tried boiled water so I don't know what it's like, as in what is removed and what is left. As far as putting the axolotl in the tank, are the tadpoles wild-caught? I know I have read that it's not a good idea to mix axolotls with wild tadpoles as they may pass on bacteria or diseases to the axie, I think the same would apply to water the tadpoles were kept in, I would say start with fresh.

Are you not using a bottled dechlorinator? I know leaving water to stand for 24-48 hours removes chlorine, but I've heard it leaves behind other things in the water that may be harmful, I don't know if boiling would do anything to remove these substances.

Also have you got a testing kit for ammonia and nitrates etc?

bradley

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first axie. I know the feeling it's awesome, as I only got my female about 5 weeks ago.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1