Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies in a pond.

doktordoris

Reaction score
Hiya,
Can one keep axies in a garden pond, in the UK, with goldfish?

Of would he be too cold, or eat the fish? Mind you the fish are HUGE.

Cheers

Markw

Reaction score
I wouldnt do it. Water changes are frequent in a pond and the axie would become easilly stressed. Im sure there are other reasons why not, and someone will get to them im sure. Good luck with deciding. The waster conditions and possible outside problems (bird matter, predators..etc) are too risky for me.

Mark

doktordoris

Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply.

It wasn't a thing I was necessarily planning on doing, I was just wondering if it would be okay.

Thanks again
cheerio

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the goldfish would probably peck at the axolotls to some extent. If you were raising some axie eggs, it might be worth trying raising some in a pond (minus the goldfish). But I wouldn't put an established adult outdoors, it's just too risky.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the risk of the fish making a snack out of the axie, you also should worry about other predators: Birds, cats, other mammals (I don't know if you have raccoons or not over there). They'll all make a snack out of your axie.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a great concept, but I tried an outdoor axolotl pond and got a really fat population of various herons and raccoons. A few rather voracious snakes helped out too.:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1