How fast do Axies 'strike'

doktordoris

Reaction score
Country
England
How fast do they 'strike' at other aquatic beasties?

Are they fast enough to catch guppies, or tadpoles?

If they are quick enough to grab guppies is it okay to feed guppies to an axie?
Because they breed like mad and I have hundreds of them.

They can and often do feed on guppies of the right size. Many people do put a breeding trio in there to feed their axies. Some say its inhumane. Keep in mind though that if the axies get too big, you wont have to worry about them eating the babies, you wont have any adults in there :eek:.

Mark

Thanks markw!

aha!

Thanks for your tadpole related advice crazyfishlady.

I shall keep my tadpoles babies away from my axies then!

ps. I read the thread that you suggested fishlady. Imagine my suprise when I read that I had already asked this question! It was t'other night when I was on the sauce. I was tight as an owl when I asked it, so I had disremembered. Oops!

ps. I read the thread that you suggested fishlady. Imagine my suprise when I read that I had already asked this question! It was t'other night when I was on the sauce. I was tight as an owl when I asked it, so I had disremembered. Oops!

Tight as an owl? Heheheheh.:grin: I haven't heard that one before.

they are fast, very, very fast, when they want to be

IMO, axies are lazy, alot like myself

When they want food, they will snap, sometimes so quick you can bearly see it.. and your left with a plume of sand and minus 1 guppy :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back