Waterdogs! As BASS BAIT?!?!

nickjwes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Nick
Waddell's Live Waterdogs

This website offers "Waterdogs" (not actual Waterdogs/Hellbenders/Mudpuppies, but simply larval stage salamanders/newts) for purchase as fishing bait
icon8.gif
Not to mention that they are all wild caught most likely. Not that this had anything to do with anything but I thought it was apalling that people would do that. It could be a good source if anyone was looking to raise tons of salamanders from larval stage (not to be used as bait of course).

Not to mention they offer "tiger water dogs" as bait for "trophy bass"... as in larval tiger salamanders.

I saw this site yesterday. It was really hard to not buy a bunch at that price!!! I should buy stock in Tupperware!!!!!!

Nick, this has gone on for decades. Have you only just found out about it or something?

Honestly, I guess I knew it went on (we've used tadpoles and crayfish we would catch as kids), but its still pretty appalling. Just the fact that they go out an collect tons of them, and sell them as bait, I guess it may be a little different if they were captive bred specifically for bait? But I still wouldn't like it.

Honestly, I guess I knew it went on (we've used tadpoles and crayfish we would catch as kids), but its still pretty appalling. Just the fact that they go out an collect tons of them, and sell them as bait, I guess it may be a little different if they were captive bred specifically for bait? But I still wouldn't like it.
We may not be a million miles away from legislation that might help stop this (oooooh big government does it again.... sorry, thinking of another thread). However right now there's not much that can be done. For what it's worth, it's unlikely that the collection seriously damages populations but the escape of tigers into new habitats beyond their range is having serious effects the the genetics of many tiger populations including the California Tiger Salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back