Best food for newly hatched C.Orientalis larvae?

KJ_29

Reaction score
Country
United States
My C.Orientalis eggs have recently started hatching.
I have a few microworm cultures on the go, though I've read that these are only really suitable for a short period after hatching.
I've read the 'Microfoods' article elsewhere on this site; what I'm really looking for is an insight into people's own experiences with feeding larvae.
Ideally, I'd like the food to be relatively easy to culture, but I don't want to compromise the larvae's diet as a result.
If anyone can recommend any food substances that they've found to work successfully, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks again guys :)

Daphnia is your best bet.
I have tried in the past raising newt larvae on other food items, but they ALWAYS do better if daphnia is included in their diet.

Brilliant, thanks a lot.
I'll give it a bash, since it's that beneficial.
Whilst I'd read a lot about the benefits of daphnia, the impression I had was that they are quite difficult to culture.
Is aeration a necessity, or will a culture fare well without it?

I haven't raised a culture of it, but the Daphnia I ordered is doing OK w/ just some algae and no aeration. However, I'm not convinced they all arrived "alive" to begin with. The larvae are doing great. I also bought a frozen blend of Daphnia-like microfoods from an exotic fish store that I supplement their diets with as well. They definitely eat it. I hadn't planned on breeding my FBNs, so I was totally unprepared when my son said there was a tadpole in the newt tank...

Good luck,
Dana

Thanks Dana,
Sounds like I'll be able to manage to keep some Daphnia alive then :p
I'll try supplementing their diet with some sort of frozen food too.
Thanks again

Daphnia eat the green algae that makes pondwater green. Put a bucket of water (tapwater will be high in phosphate and pretty fertile) in a sunny site and watch it go green, then add your Daphnia.

A lot of the guides I've found on the internet make it seem that daphnia are difficult to culture, and quite high maintenance.
Nice to hear from people that it's not as difficult as it may seem.

Now that most of the council authorities have issued households with weelie bins there are plenty of redundant dustbins knocking about. I have a couple filled with rainwater at the bottom of my garden in which i have recently established daphnia cultures in preparation should my newts start to breed. Dony let the culture over populate as it may crash. Remember that the adults love a bit of live food as well and i find watching mine hunt the daphnia in the tank quite interesting. Good luck with yours

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back