Question: P. Cinereus not eating

Melmo

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
At least not in front of me. I put in some pinhead crickets when it gets dark, and then I check back in the morning and the crickets are gone. I'm not sure if they are eaten or escape (I don't know how they would escape, it's a tight lid). The reason I'm not sure if they are eaten is because when I put a cricket in front of one of the salamanders, it won't eat it. I have three in a suitably sized enclosure. It stays around 60 degrees where I keep them. There is a ceramic log, moss, and a good digging substrate in their enclosure. I hope I'm doing everything right.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Just make sure you don't leave the crickets in to long because they may bite at your animal. Also try offering it other foods such as small earthworms or maybe some pill bugs. Here is an article on different foods http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

I was trying to feed my small granulosa's pinhead crickets but they just looked at them and wouldn't eat them. I have been raising pillbugs(the young are whiteish in color) they started eating these right away. I have been also collecting termites from under logs. Don't worry without a queen they can't take over your house. Which they seem to love. I have also tried blackworms fed to them on land with alittle success. The newest item I have just started feeding them is Ant larvae which I also have been finding under logs and large stone in the woods. They don't move much except for the very tip on one end but my 2 inch granulosa's notice the slight movement and eat them. Don't collect the pupae though. Except if you are feeding tropical fish.
Also I have fed them fruit flies but wht they really love is the maggots!!!! After all this they are eating pinhead crickets again. Variety can get them back to eating the normal pinheads again. Hope all this helps you get your little guys eating . Bill

Thanks, to both of you. I'll try giving pillbugs and termites, because I know they love termites. I also tried tiny earthworms, but they just look at them. Should I be feeding them during the day, even thought they are nocturnal? Thanks.

I gave a try for pillbugs no bigger than their heads. They caught the pillbugs, I heard some crunching, but then they were spit out, and the pillbugs walked away. I don't think they could swallow the pillbugs because they rolled up into their ball position. On to termites!

I suspect that those disappearing pinheads are being eaten.

You are totally correct! I just threw in some pinheads and they ate a lot. I suppose they were getting used to their enclosure, but now they eat right in front of me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back