Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Tank setup. Advice?

Markw

Reaction score
I will be getting 4 axies in on friday :)D) and I have the tank set up and running. It is a 20gal long for the little guys as they are only 2.5" long. I was thinking on adding some terracotta (sp?) pots and deffinately some live plants. I will be getting the plants today, but I figured Id post some pics of the tank as it stands currently. I love the centerpiece and I think it works wonderously for giving the axies some hiding spots. The sand is a little stirred up at the moment when I took the picture, but in about 15 minutes, it all settled and now the tank is perfectly clear again. Any changes you think I should make would be appreciated as well as the, ever so loved, coimpliments and criticism anyone is willing to offer. Thanks again.

CSC_0930.jpg

Mark

EDIT: after seeing the picture, I noticed that both sides of the tank are chopped off in the picture. I guess you can tell what will happen on the right side of the fixture, it continues down to where it hits the bottom. The picture is a tad dark, though. I have (2) 15W reptile light fixtures on the top so the sides arent as dark as then when both strips are on. This is just the duller one that is on now.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I love the look of the tank, I wish I could have a tank looking half as good! I think a couple of pots for hiding and it'll be perfect!

tran

Reaction score
Hi, that centerpiece decoration looks amazing!

Now I'm just worried about the reptile lights. Not all lights are created equal. Those most likely have UVB and/or UVA - all reptile lights that I could search for said it contained UV because reptiles need it for bone growth. Neither your axolotls nor plants need or want UV. In fact UV can be harmful to your axolotls!

This is an abstract from Andrew R. Blaustein , John M. Romansic , Joseph M. Kiesecker and Audrey C.Hatch
"Ultraviolet radiation, toxic chemicals and amphibian population declines" Diversity and Distributions, Vol 9, Iss 2, 2003, pp 123-140

"As part of an overall 'biodiversity crisis', many amphibian populations are in decline throughout the world. Numerous factors have contributed to these declines, including habitat destruction, pathogens, increasing ultraviolet (UV) radiation, introduced non-native species and contaminants. In this paper we review the contribution of increasing UV radiation and environmental contamination to the global decline of amphibian populations. Both UV radiation and environmental contaminants can affect amphibians at all life stages. Exposure to UV radiation and to certain contaminants can kill amphibians and induce sublethal affects in embryos, larvae and adults. Moreover, UV radiation and contaminants may interact with one another synergistically. Synergistic interactions of UV radiation with contaminants can enhance the detrimental effects of the contaminant and UV radiation."

Check to see if your lights have UV, and if so, please try to get a freshwater aquarium bulb (no UV) in the Kelvin temperature range of 6500K-7000K as the optimal range for both plants and animals in the tank. 6700K works terrific.

Good luck!

Markw

Reaction score
Hi, that centerpiece decoration looks amazing!
Now I'm just worried about the reptile lights. Not all lights are created equal. Those most likely have UVB and/or UVA - all reptile lights that I could search for said it contained UV because reptiles need it for bone growth. Neither your axolotls nor plants need or want UV. In fact UV can be harmful to your axolotls!

This is an abstract from Andrew R. Blaustein , John M. Romansic , Joseph M. Kiesecker and Audrey C.Hatch
"Ultraviolet radiation, toxic chemicals and amphibian population declines" Diversity and Distributions, Vol 9, Iss 2, 2003, pp 123-140

"As part of an overall 'biodiversity crisis', many amphibian populations are in decline throughout the world. Numerous factors have contributed to these declines, including habitat destruction, pathogens, increasing ultraviolet (UV) radiation, introduced non-native species and contaminants. In this paper we review the contribution of increasing UV radiation and environmental contamination to the global decline of amphibian populations. Both UV radiation and environmental contaminants can affect amphibians at all life stages. Exposure to UV radiation and to certain contaminants can kill amphibians and induce sublethal affects in embryos, larvae and adults. Moreover, UV radiation and contaminants may interact with one another synergistically. Synergistic interactions of UV radiation with contaminants can enhance the detrimental effects of the contaminant and UV radiation."

Check to see if your lights have UV, and if so, please try to get a freshwater aquarium bulb (no UV) in the Kelvin temperature range of 6500K-7000K as the optimal range for both plants and animals in the tank. 6700K works terrific.

Good luck!

I had no idea! Thanks so much. I will deffinately go out and get the aquarium lights. That was a shocker. I used them because of the uv, not knowing it would harm them. :confused: I will go out and get the plants and new lights tomorrow and I will post new pics of the tank. I just ordered the axies (1 leucistic, 1 melanoid, 1 gold, 1 wildtype) and they should be here wednesday or friday of next week. :D

Mark
EDIT: I got the centerpiece for free! Extremely happy with it. Cant get much better than that.

Markw

Reaction score
Uodated Pix!

Well I went out ang got 6 plants, a new 4200K light, and a bunch of blackworms today. This is what it ended up looking like. The axies will be here tomorrow. Any input is still appreciated.

NewTank.jpg

Thanks.
Mark

Markw

Reaction score
I love your center piece, really looks natural. Mind telling me where you got it?

Got the Centerpiece for $10 from a guy we know. Im pretty sure he got it from petco. Great deal. Wills the entire tank plus some for only $10. ;)

Mark

xXNetRavenXx

Reaction score
That is an amazing tank! I cant wait to see it with the Axolotls in it!! :happy:

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Your tank looks great .i really like the vine ,i wouldn't mind having one for my tank. what kind of filter you using ?

Markw

Reaction score
I will be updating with new shots before the weekend. Until then, you can see pix of the axies when they were about 2.25" (theyre abour 4" now) here:

http://caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61310

thanks for the interest and make sure to keep looking for my guys. theyre turning out to be wonderful little guys.

Mark

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!