Great amphibian zoos in Europe?

joonas

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Joonas Gustafsson
I would be interested to hear "amphibian opinions" about European zoos and public terrarium houses. Where one can see plenty of amphibians, or especially nice amphibian displays?

To start the discussion, I'll present my personal favourites. Number one in my list is Rotterdam Blijdorp Zoo in the Netherlands. There are large anura and caudata sections in Rivièrahal building, but also splendid amphibian terrariums in other parts of the zoo. Especially "caudatawice" Rotterdam is great.
Number two in my list is Berlin Zoo Aquarium, with tens of species in beautiful terrariums.

Vivarium Chemnitz in Germany has one of the best selections of amphibians I've seen in Europe, plus they breed newts behind the scenes. Having said that, the rest of the "zoo" is so-so/not very impressive (at least not when I was last there in 2000/2001).

I'd like to put in a vote for the Reptielenzoo at Vlissingen in the Netherlands, I'ver seen some excellent caudata tanks there too, though I haven't been there for about ten years.

Madrid´s Zoo has some interesting terrariums, but the last time i was there the species were the usual thing....dartfrogs, a few Megophrys...nothing much. I don´t know if it has inproven since i last saw it...
The terrariums are beautiful though....

Marwell Zoo in the UK has some amphibians on display, but their new amphibian conservation centre has big look through windows so the public can watch the action. Most amphibians aren't great display animals as far as the general zoo-going public are concerned.

I went to Chemnitz Tierpark in August after reading about it here. If you're interested, here are some photos:
http://s917.photobucket.com/albums/ad15/evut22/Chemnitz%20ZOO/?albumview=slideshow
It was quite difficult to take pictures of the amphibians especially because the tanks have a couple of inches of metal in the bottom part where the creatures mostly like to spend their time.

By the way, I live in the UK so I also looked up Marwell...entry costs between £12 (off peak) to £18.
Chemnitz was 4 Euro...

Thank you, Otterwoman, I'm glad you liked the pictures.

Joonas, I'm not sure how many amphibians I saw there but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 70 or near that figure. I'm really not sure though.
They have 3 rooms - one tropical, quite large, where they keep mainly frogs. The 2 cooler ones are a lot smaler and have newts, salamanders and axolotls.
Perhaps you could contact the zoo and ask them if you want to be sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back