Question: Why won't my newt eat anymore?

Sabby J

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I have a fire belly newt and toad that I got from a friend. For the first two weeks I left them in the tank they came with. They seemed fine...they cuddled, and ate. Then I bought a new glass tank, filter,and plastic plants. The old tank just had rocks and water. Now the newt just sits in the water by the filter. For the past 3 days he hasn't come up to eat. I'm getting worried, did I stress him out? What should I do?

Thanks

How much research have you done on here and elsewhere? A cardinal rule when keeping amphibians is not to house different species together. Toxin from the toad's skin could kill the newt--and, in some case, toxin from the newt could kill the toad, despite any 'cuddling.' Amphibians don't 'cuddle' in the sense I believeyou mean...

Seperate them immediately, then check for ammonia in the water. Toads can excrete large amounts of ammonia which can kill everything in the tank, including themselves. Also, check temperatures in the tank water and the room. Some toads can cope with high temps, most newts can't. You need to be down below 60f for the newt to be comfortable and give it the chance to start eating. The physical presence of a toad is enough to stress out a small newt and stop it feeding.

You need two clean set ups, one for each animal, then they may have a chance. Don't delay.

Thanks for advice,

I will go to the pet store after work and buy the stuff I need to test the water and buy a seperate tank. I was told that because they are both fire bellies, they have the same toxins and wouldn't be leathal to each other....Plus I got them from a friend, who had them in the same plastic tank without filtered water, never checked the ammonia levels for over a year now...is it just luck that they haven't died?

I'm glad I found this website and thanks for the speedy response. I have heard so many different things from different people, even the pet store I went to, told me to buy a heater for the water because they keep their newts at 78 degrees...

Thanks

Might be an idea before you set up to read some of the general articles on Caudata Culture like species mixing and water quality.

Much better to ask on here than almost any petshop!

Good luck.

I'll put him back in his old tank for a while, and test the water. Hopefully he will be ok. I find it strange that they have lived so long together without any previous problems. Do you have any theroys? They also tend to occupy the same hiding spaces.

thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back