Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Change in my axolotls waste

Madsmonkey

Reaction score
I have had my albino axolotl for almost six weeks now it was about 3and a half inches long when I got it and is now closer to 4 and a half. I have noticed a change in the type of waste it is producing. I am feeding it once a day on frozen bloodworm it is still taking its food and there has benn no change to how active it is and it is showing no signs of stress that I have read about.
It was producing rounded black waste every 4-5 days which I have been removing from the tank along with any left over food but over the last 4 days the waste has changed to green it is more frequent and is spread over the gravel in patches rather then as a solid pellet form as it was before.
I have replaced the plants in my tank about a week ago this is the only change I have made to the tank and my axolotls routine.
Please can anyone tell me if it is ill and recommend anything I can do to help it get better.

Thanks

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sometimes my axies have 'formed' poo, sometimes it's just like a 'pool' of waste on the bottom of the tank, but never green.
One thing though, gravel is not a suitable substrate for axolotls and it may have already caused a blockage inside your little friend which could be causing the abnormal poo. If you think this may be the case then I would definately say to fridge your axie to help him pass the stones.
Keep a close eye on your little one.

Madsmonkey

Reaction score
Thanks I will replace his gravel with something more suitable when I get home later.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
If you have nothing to change it for yet, a bare bottomed tank works well. It's easier to see what is going in and out of your axolotl!

Madsmonkey

Reaction score
I go past a pet shop on the way home I will see if they have any aquatic sand, I am assuming it is small enough to pass through my axolotls gills and not cause it any digestive problems if ingested?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Sand is fine. Sand bought from a pet shop is fine too, as long as it's not marine sand. I think there's a difference, you may need to ask the assistant at the shop if it's OK to use in a freshwater tank. Though you can't always trust what they say at petshops! A sale is a sale in some places.
A cheaper kind of sand to use which is also perfectly good for axie tanks is children's play sand.
You will need to rinse any sand you get until the water runs clear, some people use a pillow case, some a bucket in the bath, up to you! You must only put the sand up to 1 inch deep, otherwise you may have problems with gas pockets building up under the sand.
Good luck!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Madsmonkey,

Axolotl poo colouration and form can be indicative of its health. In general, the colour of the poo is largely attributed to the diet. If you feed a diet rich in worms and pellets, the poo tend to take on a reddish brown appearance. I found that treats rich (meats, seafood etc) diets tend to give the axie a 'greenish-grey' colour poop. Fresh poo from a healthy axie should be well formed, a defined 'blob'.

Do take note that due to the 'friable' nature of axie poop, they quickly disintegrate into dust like particles, so do not worry unduly if you see powdery looking poop around.

The only time when you should really worry about something wrong with your axie poop is when you see the following.

1 - Discomfort around the cloaca region when defecating (scratching, twitching, rubbing etc)
2 - Abnormal discharge (blood, pus, slime)
3 - Runny poo (not well formed when freshly pooped)
4 - Undigested particles, parasites or 'ribbon like' segments present in the poop.
5 - Consistently jet black tarry stools, especially if accompanied by anaemia or illness/stress.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Madsmonkey

Reaction score
Thanks :happy: Alex is not showing any behavioural changes that would make me think he is seriously ill, he is still eating and moving round his tank, he did vomit out a piece of gravel yesterday evening which may have been the cause. I was slightly paranoid as this is my first axolotl and I wouldn't want it to be in discomfort without realising, I have removed his gravel and replaced it with sand to stop the risk of it happening again.
Will monitor him over the next few days to see if there are any other signs.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice. Will try and load up a picture of him sometime soon.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1