Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leucistic eyes

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if leucistic axolotls can have the shiney eye ring ? thanks

philbaker76

Reaction score
Good question ~ I'm not 100% sure and look forward to hearing what other members have to say. But, my understanding is yes, and Melanoid Leucistics have completely black eyes.

callina

Reaction score
all axolotl have the shining eye-ring, except the melanoid Axolotls. If an axie has none shining eye-ring, it`s a sign for that it`s a melanoid axie, regardless of the axies color.

Leucistic only means, that it is a white-colored axie.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Slimer,

Leucistics have the reflective eye ring. The genes which affect their colour, is a developmental one, meaning that they can still produce pigments but not all the pigments can migrate and be expressed.

Melanoids do not have the eye ring.

http://axolotl.org/genetics.htm

Cheers.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
To be clear (as pea soup), melanoid leucistics can lack a shiny eye ring.

I think Callina and Phil's combined posts answer it best. Leucistics are white axolotls with dark eyes. A 'normal' (read: non-melanoid leucistic) will have a shiny eye ring. But melanoids can be any color: brown/black/grey, albino, or leucistic. All melanoids lack shiny eye rings, regardless of their color.

So your leucistic COULD lack a shiny eye ring, if it is also melanoid.

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't know melanoids could be any color i thought they where always black/ dark. it seems i have both regular and melanoid Leucistics .Thanks all for your help.​

oceanblue

Reaction score
There are two genes which can cause a leucistic to lack the shiny ring in the eye. One is the melanoid, the other is axanthic. People use the shiny eye ring to sort out dark normals from melanoids without the problem of axanthic because nearly all dark coloured axanthic axolotls fail to thrive and die small.

Axolotls which are "just" leucistic have a very easy to see shiny eye ring. If they have black eyes with no sparkle they are also melanoid or axanthic, or possibly even both.

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Is there any way to determine if the Leucistic with no shiny eye ring is either a melanoid or axanthic ? From what i take from reading the genetics page on the axolotl site regular melanoids and axanthic look the same, dark skin ,no shiney .so how do you know which is which ? thanks

callina

Reaction score
the difference between melanoid and axanthic axolotls are:

Melanoid axies are only missing the shining pigments (iridiophores). They look like a normal wild-type or leucistic (white) axie without the shining eye-ring and shining Pigments on theire bodies. There is no glamor, glance? on their skin.

Axanthic axies are also missing the yellow Pigments (xanthophores). The wild-types mostly are dark grey and the white ones are really white and they have no shining pigments.

You can see the difference best, when they are still young. Non-axanthic larvae, especially the white ones (leucistic) have yellow points on their backs at the neural crest. Axanthic larvae are missing them.

But most of the axanthic axies will die before they reach sexual maturity.

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Re: axanthic axies

So do the normal non melanoid / non axanthic Leucistics have shiney spots on the body too other than just the shiney eye ring ? I haven't seen any but is it possible ? Also any one know why axanthic axies die off ? I tried to do a search through old posts here but didn't come up with much. thanks

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Slimer,

The colour of axolotls is dependent upon pigment cells called chromatophores. These cells are melanophores (containing eumelanin, a black-brown pigment), xanthophores (containing carotenoids and pteridines, yellow and reddish pigments) and iridophores (containing crystalised purines, which impart a shiny iridescence).

Non melanoid axies can have shiny pigments on their bodies. Try looking around the gills and around the tail, in my experience, they tend to accumulate around these areas.

I can see your interest in colour genetics, so i have attached some links for you to look through in your leisure.

http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/strains.htm

http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/mutantslist.htm

The axanthic mutant is characterized by the absence of xanthophores and iridophores. Melanophores are normal, and otherwise wild-type animals are uniformly dark gray. Dark axanthic axolotls are not vigorous, and Frost reports a susceptibility to viral infections (Frost et al., 1986). Axanthic animals also homozygous for albino (a) are hardy animals. Older axanthic albinos are pale yellow, apparently due to riboflavins in the diet (Bukowski, et al., 1990).

In view of the above literature, i hypothesise that the axanthic gene is 'selected' or 'carried' concurrently with genes that affect immunity, particularly to cell mediated immunity against viral infections.

Regards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1