Cottony whitish around C FBN's eye: what is it?

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
My C. Orientalis (Chinese firebelly newt) female, Newton, who is at least 2 years old (at least that is how long she has been in captivity between when my friend had her and myself) has a little bit of grayish- whitish cottony looking stuff around her eye(s). She has had it for a little while. It is most readily seen when she is under the water. I just thought I had not seen her in a good light before, or she was about to shed before, but it is slowly getting worse now. She seemed to have her eyes closed a lot but I just thought that she was gravid and liked to take a lot of naps. She has had a wonderful appetite through all of this. I just converted the tank over to 1/3 land and 3/4 water with live plants and a small waterfall type filter with a "bio-bag". The newts are getting used to the water from being mostly "terrestrial". Now that she is in the water more, I can take a better look at her eye and it is a little more obvious. The good news is that she is more active.

What is it? Is it time to see a vet with her? Do I need to separate her yet?

Thanks everyone who suggested tea baths in case she might have shedding issues until I could re-evaluate and see if it was time to take her to the vet. (chat room):happy:

She just began shedding!:eek: It has just gone down over her head as a normal peel without any assistance. Well, it's good I pay attention to them, and don't let anything go unnoticed, right?:D

I will check to make sure her eyes look "normal" afterward.;)

Although she is doing about the world's slowest peel, she is ok. I checked her over really well, and sprayed some water on her to see her eyes really well. They are not as bright as the youngest one's, but they are clear. She is going to be fine. I transported her to a surface that was a little rougher so she could get her peeling under way easier.

Thank you everyone!:happy:

I'm glad that's all it is. Mine have never shed to my knowledge. Is that odd? I keep reading about this issue here but we've been unable to see this is either of our adults. Maybe mine are older or is this done periodically?

Dana

Mine shed every few days, especially after a big meal, but they do it so fast that I am sure that unless you are there at the opportune time, it probably goes unnoticed. I would not worry about it. They would have to be shedding if they seem to grow in the slightest bit, even if it is around, lol.

Also, to add to the mystery, they usually eat their skin. I have noticed that even if the one who did the shedding doesn't eat it, one of the others may step up to eat it.:frog::lol:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back