cooling the water for FBN

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dana
Today, I used the frozen bottle of water technique and saw at least a 3 degree temp drop in the newt tank. At lunch, I changed the bottle over, which had thawed, to a new one. I went back and read my post about this issue from the beginning and realize someone suggested this wasn't safe - I had posted about using ice chips of dechlorinated water originally. One poster used frozen bottles of water but another suggested securing ice packs to the tank and insulating with styrofoam. I am confused. I thought I read about the ice chips on a site here. I was happy to get the midday temp down to 66 but don't want to do something wrong. After all, my newts have to be healthy and happy if laying eggs, right? Do I really want to change anything after all? I also heard that for humans, keeping bottled water in a hot car is detrimental and also heard that freezing it is also dangerous as both extremes can cause chemicals from the plastic to get into the water. Wouldn't it affect newts even more?

Dana

Uh-oh. Good point. I have been using the dechlorinated ice chips on their screen top and letting it drip down on them. I hope they don't get poisoning from the galvanized metal.:confused: (I think I am safe because I think it is coated though....) Before we knew about the dangers of chemicals leeching from plastics, I used the frozen water bottle method.:sick:

I guess ice packs on the OUTSIDE of the tank, styrofoam to insulate it, moving the whole set-up to a cooler room or air conditioning (or basement), or just down toward the floor in a darkened room without their light on (heat rises), circulating the air with a fan in the room or a computer fan above the tank, or the elaborate cooling "system" I have seen elsewhere on this site...or keeping them in a cooler with ice outside the tank are all ideas, as well as putting them in the fridge...though I really don't like that unless there is no other option because they all seem dead when pulled out and they seem to slowly re-animate.:errr: I don't know if it is a shock to their body or not, or how many times we will be able to "get away with it" before their tiny little systems say "no more". Maybe mine is just set way too low. The wet paper towel they were on in their container had frozen stiff within 10-15 minutes!:eek: Poor little guys!! In a few minutes, they seemed ok...once they thawed back out. They had been rather stiff before though.

I hope these ideas have helped or at least sparked some more ideas...:happy:

I forgot to let you know that your water temp may be a little cooler than your air temp, as the air temp is generally measured at a higher altitude in your tank (and may be closer to your light bulb, and therefore warmer slightly due to the heat it may be throwing off of it...and it takes more to heat a body of water depending on it's size). I have a different thermometer for each, and a dial for the relative humidity measurement. (I know you had a question about this in another thread, and I just put in a semi-aquatic set-up myself, here.)

Yes, I did think there was a slight difference from the thermostat on my A/C and the water temp. I did purchase a thermometer, but it's quite confusing the way it's marked. There's this green band in the middle, Celsius on the right w/ markings and Farenheit on the left w/ its markings. Too many markings for me! I think the tank is hanging right around 68-70 but I'd like it a bit cooler though I do often go back to my other thought - if they're reproducing, aren't they content???

Thanks for all your insight!

Dana

You're welcome. :happy:

I would think if they are reproducing on a consistent basis and eating consistently that they are ok, but I am fairly new to this. I have only had my little guys for a year, but I have been researching in that year, and learning by trial and error.

I know that our air temp is closer to 80 degrees F, but the water temp was around 78, and they were actively hunting. I turned the lights off and debated turning on the A/C. I figured if it was toward the end of the day and the sun was going down and they made it this far, I could wait a little bit and open the patio door to let in the cooler air with the lights off. They must be ok if they are hunting down prey and not really hanging out IN the water. I am just worried a little about the one who looks sleepy most of the time. She might be gravid but even she was a little active today. I notice she is more at night now.

Yes, I did think there was a slight difference from the thermostat on my A/C and the water temp. I did purchase a thermometer, but it's quite confusing the way it's marked. There's this green band in the middle, Celsius on the right w/ markings and Farenheit on the left w/ its markings. Too many markings for me! I think the tank is hanging right around 68-70 but I'd like it a bit cooler though I do often go back to my other thought - if they're reproducing, aren't they content???

Thanks for all your insight!

Dana

If they are consistently at 68-70, I wouldn't bother trying to bring down the temp with ice. As long as you can keep them in this range, they are quite OK. And yes, if they are reproducing, they are probably content. Over the summer, temps into the mid-70s are OK for well-established C. orientalis.

Over the summer, temps into the mid-70s are OK for well-established C. orientalis.

Thanks, Jen. I won't worry too much then. By well-established, would a tank that is just over a year old fit into this category?

Thank you,
Dana

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back