new axies, advice please

Celeste

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi Guys!!!

my two axies arrived yesterday, Im very excited and will post some pictures later, when I get them into the main tank. I have some concerns about the state they got here, when they arrived
the water temperature was about 24º C, put them into boxes and cooled them down 1ºC each hour. The other thing I am concerned about is that the ph in the water they came was about 6.5.. is it very acidic? anyway, I changed their water once the temperature was even at 19ºC, and I changed it today too, so I can change .3 of ph at the time, is it right? They seem reactive, one of them (the person who gave them to me told me they are both females) ate, the other wouldnt. they had their tail curled (today not anymore) and their gills a litlle bit facing forward (this is getting less). One more thing, their gills has too little "hairs"... they were fed with pellets and earthworms, Im planning and am prepared to do the same feeding routine. Last thing: they are about 17 cms long, but a little skinny, how often could I feed them, so they can gain weight?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Celeste,

The best thing to do with new axies are to let them settle down in their new environment. Ensure that their water parameters and temperature are optimal. Ammonia, nitrites at 0 and nitrates <60. Axies can tolerate a range of pH from 6.5-8 although neutral is best. Keeping them cool and comfortable is as essential. A temperature of 16-18 degree celsius is best.

Do you have hiding places for them? Also make sure their tank and environment is dimly lit. It can take about 2 or 3 days before the axie settles comfortably. You can then start offering pellets and earthworms. They are suitable staples.

Over time, provided the nutrition and tank conditions are well managed, your axie would gradually put on weight and regenerate the gill fimbriae.

Cheers.

Thanks Ray!!!

I will put them in the tank tomorrow, both of them are eating now. I have some hiding places, but as I posted in other thread, my waters tank is a little bit too alkaline (8 now, changed to bottled water and conditioned it to raise Gh), they are both reactive now, but I see them a little bit impatient as the containers where they are now are little.

Is good to know they are going to be better once they settle down, I was really worried about the state of their gills. by the way, last readings after a 5 month cycling process are amonia and nitrite 0, nitrate 20, temperature 20º (of the main tank, I will put ice bottles in it and try to keep it at 18º).

Thanks again Ray, I will post some pictures tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the update Celeste, i am sure you would do well and your axies will have a loving home. ;)

Pictures!!

Thanks guys, thanks Ray, finally took some pictures, their names are Maty and Cuso, they are eating well (yesterday 3 earthworms each)!! They are 5 months old, 15.5 and 16.5 cms in lenght, water parameters are fine, as I put them in the tank on sunday, I am doing water tests every 2
days.

Hope you like them, and some pictures of the tank. Any suggestion will be apreciated!!

Attachments

• 000_1606.jpg
    000_1606.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 121_3746.jpg
    121_3746.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 000_1567.jpg
    000_1567.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 000_1569.jpg
    000_1569.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 154
  • 000_1600.jpg
    000_1600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 121_3726.jpg
    121_3726.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 168
Hi Celeste,

I like that steppe type house you have in your tank. Reminds me of a hobbit's home.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back