Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tiger salamanders and humidity..?

Amyy73

Reaction score
As of today we are having a heat wave. It reached the mid 80's here. My tank has been good about 65 degrees temp with humidity around 60. Now that it was hot today my tank temp was 70 but my humidity went down to 30. I'm not sure why this happened. Does anyone know what the humidity should be for tiger salamanders? If it's at 30 will that harm them?

Just to give more info. I do have a live plant in my tank and a water bowl. Not to mention a screened top and half of it covered with plexiglass to hold in moisture. All was good until it got hot out today. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of substrate do you have, and are the sals able to dig down into it? Being able to dig into a moist substrate matters more than the air humidity, in my opinion. I keep tiger sals with a screen lid, and I live in a super-dry climate. They are able to dig under into the soil, and have been doing well for years.

Amyy73

Reaction score
I have the 50/50 mix of organic top soil with the coco fiber. I also have some sphagnum moss in there. My little tiger sal burrows all the time in the soil and moss. But, my barred tiger sal is always in the hides. He doesnt burrow. Thank you for both of your quick responses.

Amy

Amyy73

Reaction score
One more question that just popped up. Not sure if i should be worried or not. My smaller tiger sal the one that burrows a lot. I have seen her everyday for the past month to be fed. He is always at the tank looking out at me sometime during the day. I have not seen him since yesterday early afternoon. Which is now past 24 hours. He did not come out to eat or go in the water. I'm guessing he's burried pretty deap since i cant seem to find him. Should i be concerned? He has never done this before. I wasn't sure if i should try digging around to find him?

madeve

Reaction score
He just might be happy burrowed in the cool dirt and not hungry yet, my smaller tiger does that every once in a while. My big tiger however is always on cue when feeding time comes lol.

Amyy73

Reaction score
Your right that is what happened. He came out this morning to eat. Right there at the glass begging for food. I was so thrilled to see him.

joejoe84

Reaction score
I keep my salamander tank around 70 humidity but lower than that seems to do fine. Although some books say we should keep at 70.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!