Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

defecation question

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Hello

I have recently become a Salamandra owner, and have had my new guy for about a week, in which I have fed him twice- 3 small/medium crickets each time. He is in a 15 gal tank with a fogger on a timer, a top soil/coconut husk mix substrate and two hides, and a shallow water bowl. Temps and humidity are correct. I just haven't noticed any droppings in the water, and I'm actually not sure what I'm looking for anywhere else in the enclosure. This is my first amphibian, and I don't want to leave droppings in there, but I just haven't seen any yet. Can anyone help or give me any suggestions?

benw

Reaction score
They do vary in the times when they 'go'.
They dont have a fast metabolism so they go every 2-3 days or, as at least one salamandra keeper on here has experienced-months. I also think it depends on what they are fed, mine go far more regularly if fed on worms and far longer if fed on crickets, its almost as if the crickets bung them up.
Im sure other keepers will share their ideas, but as far as i am concerned, the fact yours hasnt done any in the few days you have had it is not an issue.
As to what you are looking for, a brown cylindrical object, tapering ends, and dare i say it, a destinctive smell!!!!
Good luck,
Ben

Last edited:

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. He also has dug several burrows and likes to hide in various hide spots (I have a plant he likes to hide under, a piece of cork bark over moss he loves, and a small fake, hollow tree with moss that he goes under as well). I don't know if he has picked a favorite spot yet, but he's usually under the plant. Maybe he has gone in one of these spots or in a burrow. I'll check if I haven't seen anything in a few more days. Thanks again!

marco

Reaction score
As Ben said, good advice on feaces.:D

You may want to be careful with the fogger, too much humidity can be problematic for fire salamanders, id have thought that the water bowl would provide enough for them combined with a damp substrate. Just my opinion though, see how it goes.

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Thanks for the words on the fogger. I have it going off pretty infrequently- once every twelve hours. I'll keep an eye on it though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!