Newbie / a little bit about my firebelly newt

supercool602

Reaction score
Country
United States
This site has been the single most helpful for me in taking care of my firebellies. I do have a few questions I'd like to ask, and any help or insight would be very appreciated. I have had two Chinese firebelly newts for a good 5 months now. One of them barely eats anything and stays on land almost all of the time. He does go swimming about once a week, and every other day he gets in the water just to get to the water filter so he can climb up it. I was thinking of using Zilla's "caloric supplement and appetite stimulant" to try and get him to start eating, because he never eats anything I try to give him. I do see food I leave for him disappear every once in a while, but I still think that could just be the other newt eating it. Does anybody have some advice for me?
My other newt is a strange case. I am having trouble figuring out whether he/she is bloated, gravid, or constipated. I have heard that when they are bloated, they tend to float or have trouble swimming in dechlorinated water. Mine has no trouble swimming and does not float. I've also been told that bloating MINIMALLY occurs at the torso and throat. My newt looks just like a gravid female, with swelling only at the abdomen, but she has been this way for a good 2-3 months. Does anyone have any advice on that? The aquarium has plenty of land and hiding places, the water has been de chlorinated, dechloraminated and i've treated the water with stuff that eliminates nitrites and nitrates and ammonia, so it should be fine. The water temperature is at around 73-74 degrees.

When water quality declines, newts either get out or get sick. One of your newts has chosen to get out, and the other may be getting sick (bloat). There are no aquarium additives that will effectively eliminate the toxicity of nitrogenous waste. You need to maintain a consistent water change schedule to keep your newts healthy. I say all this with humility, because I am among a number of newt keepers who learned this stuff the hard way. Keep the water well aerated, and make sure the pH is within the species' normal range, and you can do water changes every two weeks. If DO declines, and the pH is too high, newts can fall ill in 3 or 4 days without a water change. Also, there is no need to heat the aquarium water for this species. 73-74 is warmer than the subtropical/temperate environment they are adapted too.

All that aside, some newts will spend a lot of time on land, while others swim (without struggling) almost constantly. This can be normal, and is the result of many factors, including hormone levels. From what you've described, however, it seems that your newts are likely exposed to high ammonia levels. Luckily, chinese fire bellies are among the hardiest species available; most other species would have likely died after 5 months without a water change.

Regarding the animal that won't eat, chop up a live earthworm into managable size pieces and calmly hold the food with forceps in front of its nose. If it won't eat that, you've got a sick newt.

Thank you very much. Would I be able to use a regular aerator to help keep the water aerated? Also, do you know how long newts can live with bloat (I'm still not sure my newt has it due to the differences in appearance and the fact that it has stopped, but just in case)? Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

No problem supercool602. Yes, normal aquarium aerators work fine. You mentioned that you have a water filter, so aeration might not be an issue. You will find differing opinions regarding whether or not to use undergravel filters. In my experience, once the tank has cycled, the type of filtration is not critical.

Regarding bloat, I would ask an amphibian vet, which you might contact on this forum. There are different kinds of what we call "bloat". I have heard of animals living for years before it finally caused significant harm to the animal. On the other hand, I have personally had bloated animals die within a week, even after treating as recommended by a vet. If your animal is swolen, but not floating, it is probably an accumulation of coelomic fluid, rather than a gas balance problem. This usually has to do with kidney failure or lymphatic pump failure, which can be caused by poor water quality. Whatever happens, keep notes of your newt's progress, so you can refer to this experience (good or bad) in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back