Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: What are these things?!

Abberzoo

Reaction score
After siphoning and adding new water to my tank, I found about 3 clusters of these very tiny white worms. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY!?!?!?:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0139 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0139 (Large).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 175

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Abberzoo,

They look like planaria.

For tactics on dealing with tank critters such as planaria (and other tank invaders), I would recommend you have a read through this article.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Abberzoo,

I agree with Jacq that they look like planaria. In most instances, you can just leave them be and they shouldn't be a problem. If they bother you, you can try reduce their population by ensuring you keep your tank free of detritus, uneaten excess food and such. If you notice the planaria are having an adverse effect on the axies such as witnessing planaria attached to axie skin and gills causing obvious discomfort to the axie, then eradication is indicated.

You can choose to bait planaria. Scraped beef is put into a gauze sac and hung among plants and close to the gravel. Light should be switched off. The gauze sac will attract Planaria that will gather on it in a few hours. The sac is removed from the aquarium (hold the net under the sac to prevent Planaria falling back into the aquarium) and put into boiling water. Repeat this for several evenings to ensure that young planaria that have hatched from eggs are eradicated.

Here is a link to another discussion post i had sometime back on planaria.
http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58702&highlight=planaria&page=2

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1