Question: Gill flicking

xXNetRavenXx

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my new axies that just arrived today is flicking his gills a lot, like every five seconds.... whats he doing?

Hi Netraven,

i guess the best way in assessing the significance of the gill flicking is to determine how frequently the gill flicks are (the interval time), the duration of such sessions (isolated incident or chronic continuous) as well as if there are other accompanying signs of illness or stress.

Occasional random gill flicking whereby the axie looks relaxed and shows no sign of ill health or stress is normal. This is the facilitate gaseous exchange around the gills.

Very frequent gill flicking of prolonged duration is not normal. This could be a sign of oxygen deficit in the environment (check tank parameters, temperature, aeration), indication of a terminally ill axie, or ongoing chronic pathology such as anaemia or even a form of axie 'tuberculosis'. Normally, this would accompany other tell tale signs like inappetance, unusual behaviour, curled tail tip etc.

Cheers.

Well I just got them today in the mail so I am sure they are slightly stress from the trip and adjusting to their new home, I fed them (Two axolotls) a cube of frozen brine shrimp and they ate the whole thing!! :eek: So I am sure that's a good sign hehe.

That one was just doing that floating around thing, not in a upside down or sideways way but just floating, I have read about other people axies doing the same thing so I'm not worried, I kinda take it as a good sign of adjustment.:proud:

Here is him floating :ufo:

Attachments

• P1000779.jpg
    P1000779.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 272
Hi Netraven,

yes, in my opinion it´s normal floating. Your axie looks healthy, well fed and the gills aren´t curled. It´s a nice, little guy.:D
The stress was only caused by his journey, I think.

Greetz, Tina

It might be me, but on the picture he looks a bit bloated. Could you post a picture of him from the side?

Here is a side picture. They seem to be adjusting pretty well. I just bought a new filter (Marineland penguin 100 three stage filter) just in case it was some sort of a water quality problem... though the filter seems like its uber-strong pulling the axolotls towards it (Because there is no substrate)

*sigh... I hope that doesn't stress them out... I could put in some substrate I have around here... I have some large pebbles that I used with my last guy, but he was so small he would hide all the time and it was impossible to clean the tank!! I was thinking of putting them on the side of the tank with the filter that way if they get to flowing that way they could stop and grip on....

Attachments

• P1000782.jpg
    P1000782.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 260
Bit off topic but I think your little 'guy' is actually a lady! Slightly rounder tum and a smaller cloaca makes me think he's a girl.
Have you looked at http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm for info on axolotl gender?
Boy or girl your axie is super cute :D

I don't believe that axolotl is old enough to be sexed yet. As juveniles, they all look like females.

That is an interesting thought!!

A note on topic though, my axies settled very nicely and are doing good. No more gill flicking or floating. I suspect it was all caused by stress from moving. I hope they grow back their missing limbs :confused:

They both have a very impressive display of gills, I am quite happy with them in my life :happy:

Attachments

• P1000783.jpg
    P1000783.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 239
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back