Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The long awaited Petrie

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally got my axie - he is around 9 months old and his previous owner needed him to be rehomed.

Will attach a couple of pics - can people please let me know their opinion and let me know if he looks healthy - I think he does, but all my knowledge is based on theory and other people's pics and advice - this is the first time it's been put into practise.

He is eating well and has so far been sampling frozen bloodworms and live earthworms - he seems very keen on both.

His spray bar is working a treat, the water hardly moves, temp is at 19C and water tests are good (ammonia and nitrite are both 0, nitrate is at 10, PH at 7.5).

One of the things I am curious about, is that Petrie seems to flick his gills back every 10 seconds or so. I understand this may be to oxygenate? He has lots of live plants in his tank, so it should be well oxygenated, I'd have thought? It there anything else I should do? He seems very calm and chilled out, happy to just lounge about and his tail tip isn't curled at all. And he is a greedy, little menace, so appetite is fine!

So anyway, without further ado, I give you Petrie :happy:

Attachments

• 100_4725.jpg
    100_4725.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_4728.jpg
    100_4728.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 100_4734.jpg
    100_4734.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_4730.jpg
    100_4730.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_4736.jpg
    100_4736.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 210

tran

Reaction score
He is precious <3 Looks healthy and playful. It's nice you were able to give him a home.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I think the majority of axolotl owners here agree that sand as a substrate is not a problem and so far I have not heard of an axolotl getting an impaction problem from sand.

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Thank you very much everyone for all the nice comments. He seems to be getting on really well, lies about all placid most of the time, then, after a couple of hours, he'll creep a couple of inches forward or occasionally,he'll turn round - odd, because when he turns round, it seems to confuse him, because a minute later, he'll turn round again and then again and again. Maybe he's just got a very short attention span!

He seems happy in his tank, though he doesn't seem that interested in the mangrove root thingy (if anyone remembers this from the photos of his tank in another thread) - he spends all of his time either behind a bit of driftwood (a new addition since the tank pics were taken), flumping across the plants in the middle of the tank (I'm sure he's trying to pull them out!!) or in the half log - whenever he goes near the mangrove root, he'll walk into it and then, rather and try and walk through the gaps, he'll just give up and go elsewhere! I was hoping he'd perch on top of it like Jacq suggested, but not yet :(.

But yes, generally quite lazy - once he swam up to the spray bar and swam against the current for a few seconds, which looked hilarious - I believe he may have thought the motion was dinner of some sort! :D

Aiming to get new lighting tomorrow (I WILL have my purple, jungle-like tank, I MUST!), so will put up some more pics soon.

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1