Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

help with my axolotls gills

bob2143

Reaction score
My Gold axolotl (Muffin) has had some illnesses in the past and he recovered effectively. However, he had some problems with his gills (they became rougher and shorter) i heard that they would recover over time, however it has been 6 months since his illness and his gills haven't cured.

I was hoping that someone had heard something about this before i they could help me out. I will post pictures tommorow.

:wacko:petaholic:wacko:​

BTW he is eating fine and i am keeping his tank cool (i estimate around 20 degrees) he seems to be slightly stressed as he is swimming around quite a lot but maybe he is just being active. I have also noticed some small lumps on his head forming. Thanks in advance guys.

bob2143

Reaction score
Ok so there are the pictures...

Attachments

• P1010330.jpg
    P1010330.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 322
  • P1010329.jpg
    P1010329.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 504
  • P1010325.jpg
    P1010325.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 324

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

the head looks quite normal to me, but the gills are culed backwards and the back fin is very short. That could be caused by the water.
What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)? Did you test the water? How often do you do a water change?

The temp (20 degrees C) is fine.

What do you feed your axie?

-Tina-

bob2143

Reaction score
ok, well i might take a sample of his water into the pet shop tommorow to get a test done and i will tell you the results. I change the water weekly, however this is a new tank for him (his only had it a few weeks). I use a gravel cleaner and take approximately 20% of his water out and fill it back up with dechlorinated water. I heard this was all good.

This is his feeding routine:
First Day: 3 or four pellets, 1 bloodworm or brine shrimp block
Second day: Nothing
Third Day: one pellet

Thanks for replying.

two questions:
-Is swimming around quite frequently (No speed swimming or head out of water though) a sign of stress??
-What is the back fin of an axolotl??

:wacko:pETAHOLIC:wacko:​

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Backfin is the tail of an axolotl.

Also, another question for you, in addition to the other ones about water quality testing:

Are the bloodworm and brine shrimp "blocks" being thawed out prior to feeding?

Ingestion of frozen foods can literally cause frostbite in the digestive system of cold blooded animals. This can result in stress and other health issues.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I can't actually see any pathology on your axie. The axie looks healthy to me. The gills have normal morphology and if the the filaments appear to become shorter recently, it could be attributed to the aeration you provided in the tank. This is normal and nothing to be worried about. I can't see the lumps on the head as well. Could it just be pigmentation?

Cheers

bob2143

Reaction score
Ok thanks guys thats a relief well the brine shrimp disolves quite quickly so that is fed almost straight away to him as the tank becomes messy otherwise. Also i wait for the Bloodworm to be thawed slightly but maybe i should wait longer thanks for the help guys.

Oh and i don't think aeration is a problem he has quite a powerful airston in their with him (which he loves). Thanks for the tips

:wacko:pETAHOLIC:wacko:​

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Bob,

When the tank is well aerated (with a powerful airstone), the oxygen concentration in the water is high enough such that there the axie's gills do not require as big a surface area for gaseous exchange. As a result, the gills will become less 'fluffy'. This is normal.

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1