Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to introduce new Tiger Salamanders

Amyy73

Reaction score
I currently have two tiger salamanders. I am getting two more. What is the best way to introduce the four together? I have a 40 gallon breeder tank that I would like all four to live in. I'm going to keep them seperate for now but, eventually I would like to bring them all together.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Amy

madeve

Reaction score
My only thought would be to make sure to quarantine the new ones for a minimum of 30 days.

After that I am really unsure. Most animals I've introduced to each other, I've introduced in a "neutral" ground to avoid dominance.

I think that as long as they are well fed before introduction there should not be a big issue. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong, I'm actually pretty curious about the subject myself now that Amy has brought it up.

JoeTurtleKing

Reaction score
The way i would introduce them to a enclosure that already has salamanders in it is to take the animals that are already in the tank out and move all the things in the tank around this way when you put them back in the old and the new salamanders feel like there all new.. The old salamander might go off feed because they will think there in a new enclosure but there tiger salamanders so im sure they will eat very soon:p This is the same way you can introduce turtle,fish,mammals for the most part it work on most animals.

Amyy73

Reaction score
These are some good ideas. I have a seperate tank to hold the two for the 30 days. If after introducing them it doesnt work out i'll just have to keep them seperated.

ONE MORE QUESTION?? How does every keep their tank so moist? I mean keeping the deeper levels moist. When I spray it's only moistening the top. How do i get it moist on the bottom. I would say my substrate is about 4 inches. I was thinking of poking holes in the dirt and pooring water down them? Would this help get the water down deeper? But, of course I would only do this during feeding time so i know the Tiger Sals aren't burrowing at that time.

Thanks everyone!

Amy

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I usually use a milk jug and pour in water. My tank takes about 1/4 gallon a week, more when the relative humidity is low.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep my barred tigers fairly dry. I add about 1 litre (2 American cups, bless you guys) every few weeks to a long 30 gallon vivarium. I have one half that size that gets half that amount of water during the same interval. They all have good ventilation (important) which means the soil is never wet, only moist in certain places when you dig down.

madeve

Reaction score
I mist my tank every other day and once a month I remove all the hides, the moss and the tigers and I till the substrate with my hands while misting to get it evenly moist, then I put everything back in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!