Pleurodeles waltl breeding scheme?

donia

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Donia
I was wondering if there is a breeding scheme for P. waltl in the London area? I've got a couple of males and a female, which are likely to be related (can't tell as they came from a rescue centre). I'd love to let them breed, but would prefer not with each other. Anyone in London with this species that would do a swap for a while?

If you're thinking they're siblings and you don't want to mate them, that's not a big concern with salamanders because...if I have this right, there's not so much genetic variation. Someone can probably state that better.

Do you know if you have a male and a female?

I have a couple of males and a female. I just worry, because genetic problems may not have arisen yet, but will do eventually if repeated inbreeding occurs. And since all amphibians are in decline, it would be good to keep high genetic variation in captive bred species - they may end up being the only amphibians left in the future!! (Sorry for being so down about it, but no information I've read on amphibians is positive in terms of wild populations :().

Yeah, I've already done my reading on the subject, but I studied genetics during my uni course and just worry about it. I would just prefer to outbreed than inbreed. Hopefully someone around London feels the same!! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back