Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

new Caudate member

AugustD

Reaction score
hello everyone,
I am new to both this site and to keeping any sort of salamander or newt. I recently got a baby axolotl from a friend of my brothers. Unfortunately it died within twenty-four hours. I have no idea why. I came home the next day and it was belly up on the bottom of the container I was keeping it in. So I was referred to this site as a way to learn more about keeping axolotls and as a means of procuring a new one.
Apparently my now departed axolotl was conceived before its parents were of correct breeding age. The woman I got it from thinks this could have been a problem. I think that Axolotls are amazing creatures and I'm interested in keeping one as a pet in the future. Hope this site can help me with this.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, August.

As for why your axie bellied-up, the age of the parents wouldn't have anything to do with that. It's hard to say, as there could be a lot of different reasons.

I suggest you peruse www.axolotl.org for some of the beginner information, and then ask specific questions in the axolotl section of the forum or do a forum search and see if your question has already been asked.

And don't forget to stop by the chat room!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1