Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello~!

Wasil

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My name is Ming, I'm a 20 year old girl living in California, and new here to the forum :]
My first (and only experience) with amphibians was when I was younger; my grandpa and I raised a clutch of tadpoles and wound up with more than thirty frogs!
(I know, they're not exactly newts or salamanders, but they're the closest thing I've had!)

Since then, I've mostly had furry pets (I am currently raising three adopted red-eared sliders, as well as about 50 guppies, 6 rats, a cat, and a new puppy), although I have had a huge fascination with Axolotls ever since finding out about them. (I would love to get one sometime in the future!)

I've been lurking the forums and I just LOVE how wonderful and informative everything is.

Anyway, hope I don't cause trouble!
Cheers,
Ming

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hey Ming!

Welcome to the forum. I only recently aquired my axie, Petrie and I can tell you that they are an endlessly fascinating pet to own.

Out of curiousity, what did you and your grandpa do with the 30 frogs you raised?!

Zoe x

Wasil

Reaction score
@Kaysie:
doh!
I knew it was too good to be true when I read someone said that they didn't know any states they were illegal in.

There go my dreams of having an axolotl (along with the dreams of having a hedgehog, ferret, and anything else for that matter!)
fortunately I will probably be moving to another state in the future (for work reasons~) so I'm definitely still looking forward to getting one~!

I've heard from people that they're illegal to ship in or out of California, but not illegal to own? it's not really a reliable source, and I'd rather not risk the poor thing
being found and destroyed :\

thank you so much for telling me though! (I'm glad I found out before I started buying supplies) :happy:

@big a little a:
we gave some of them away, but most of them lived the rest of their lives in our pond :)

@Suzy:
hehe, you're right!
Thank you so much!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1