Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: axolotl bully

campbells

Reaction score
I have recently received a 3yr old axolotl from someone who couldn't look after her any more and she has started beating him up (biting his tail).. In the begging he was larger than her but he hasn't been eating and is quite fragile at the moment.. I was wondering for the future is there anything /I can do to prevent this happening or are some axolotls just bullies??

Cheers. campbells

Last edited by a moderator:

campbells

Reaction score
Re: axolotyl bully

Sorry.. by "he" I mean my other axolotl that I have had for about 4 months, but he is also probably close to or older than the new one.. he was around the 20cm in length.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: axolotyl bully

Are they both similar in size, and is your tank big enough to support two?.
My axolotl occasionally nip each other when being fed, I tend to feed them in opposite ends of their tank and this seems to help. If the biting seems unprovoked I would suggest separating them.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Campbells,

Other than a significant size difference, there is some anecdotal evidence that suggests wildtype axolotls tend to be more aggressive and would preferentially attack other colour axies. Feeding frenzy and hunger can also contribute to cannibalism (albeit accidental).

If there is innate aggression exhibited by one particular axie, it would be preferable to house the axies separately or use a tank divider.

Regards.

campbells

Reaction score
The one doing the biting was slightly smaller white with black eyes. The other one is totally black and hasn't eaten in a long time.

I've fridged him for about three weeks but he showed no improvement so I put him back in.

I have a 3 foot tank which is roughly 140L. At the moment I'm trying more hiding places because I only have 1 large tunnel and some plants. I didn't want to divide them because I wasn't sure if half the tank would be enough room for them?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Campbells,

Yes it is a good idea to try provide more hiding places. Also ensure your axies are well fed. Assess the situation then and determine if there is an improvement. If aggression persists, i think the tank divider is still a good option.

Cheers.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Campbells,

You could also try feeding them in different areas of the tank

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!