Im so angry!

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Hi Guys, I'm new to this site, and my name's Mike!

I bought a beautiful Axie 4 days ago from our local aquatics shop. The fella advised me that they are perfectly fine to live with goldfish (we only have one) and he can just pop straight into the existing tank. No special requirements, no filter needed, and whatsoever.

Then, I discovered this site and realise that the Axolotl is a fascinating species and does demand a good, high quality of care. I feel like I'm neglecting the poor little blighter and am obtaining a tank and filter on saturday (about 2 1/2 foot long) but until then can't move the poor thing.

I really feel let down by the guy who sold me it but I'm determined to get things right and maybe add a friend or two eventually to his new home.

All I was after really was a bit of advice because I'm not gonna give up on it.

It's about 3 1/2 inches long, very small gills and still has jet black eyes (its albino). Any ideas on whether its male or female, or how old it would be??

I am fascinated by this forum and the Axolotl species! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Mike.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

You have found out for yourself that most pet shops nearly always give out the incorrect information when selling axolotls. But now you have found the caudata forum you and your axie will be in good hands as the forum is full of excellent well experienced axie keepers that can answer probably any question that you have.

You say your axie is albino but has black eyes? This is not actually albino. This colour with the black eyes is called leucistic. White Albino axolotls have the characteristic pink eyes.

Unfortunately at that size you cannot tell whether it is male or female. And you can only really guess an age. At that size I would say your axie will be around 2-3 months old. It is best to determine the sex once it is around 18 months old. The main way you can tell your axie is sexually mature is by the change in colour of the toe tips. A light coloured axie's toe tips will turn black and a darker axie's toe tips will turn white. When a male is sexually mature he will have a prominant bulge behind his back legs (called the cloaca) and they are usually alot slimmer than a female. When a female is sexually mature, she does not have this bulge so it is alot harder to sex females before they are 18months old. But a female tends to be alot more plump and have a round stomach as they start developing eggs.

If you could post pics, we would all love to see the little fella! :O)

Claire.

Ps if you are looking to buy more axies to join your little ones tank, i would recommend getting a bigger tank. A 2 1/2 foot tank will only just happily accommodate 2 axies at a push.

Hi Claire!

Thank you very much for your reply! They are selling them as 'Albino Axolotls' and also have the darker coloured ones too. Come to think of it, they have about 15 in one tank which from what I've read on the site, is nowhere near big enough!

The tips of its toes are darker than the rest of its body. He doesn't seem to mind the goldfish whatsoever but I don't want to stress it out!

He's very placid. Doesn't move a lot, and likes to float! I was watching him have a little swim, but loves feeding time (frozen bloodworm blocks) and usually gulps it down in one!

I'm at work but I will get some pictures up as soon as I get home!

Thanks, Mike.

Haha yeah axies are very lazy indeed and like to lie around doing nothing most of the time. I love when they decide to get all active and swim around.

That will be great to see pics of him/her.

I would definately move him into another tank or even a tub as soon as you can cause the goldfish might start to nip your axies gills which could lead to infection. When you do eventually get your new tank, you will need to make sure you cycle the tank before placing the axie into it.

Here are a couple of links that will be of good use.

http://www.axolotl.org/housing.htm

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Claire.

Hi Claire!

OK, so I can actually 'quarantine' the Axie in a tub? What would I do with the water whilst he's in there? I think I'll do that tonight when I get home. What size tub?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm going to do that tonight. Will he be happy in there?? :(

PS: I have read about 'cycling' and it seems very complicated but something which I will have to do. Can you help me along the way?? Whats the best way to transport an Axie? Can I pick him up or use a net?

Hello Mike!

Do not let the pet store information upset you too badly. You are not alone. Many, many pet shop customers have had the same experience, and not just with axolotls. I myself was sold what I found out years later to be an axolotl as a child that turned out in actuality a tiger salamander! Sadly, my parents and I followed the pet store's instructions and the poor critter drowned.

On that note, isn't it grand the internet can provide instant information? It is even more exciting to find a source such as Caudata.org gives that can provide verifiable correct information?

I applaud you for taking the time to find the right place for help!

And while I am at it, I applaud Clairey for helping you to the very sites that taught me everything I needed to know and then some about axolotls.

Edit:

We have recently had quite a few very productive conversations on cycling here on the forums, use the search function with keywords "Ammonia" and "Cycling" to get a wealth of additional information on this topic.

Also, be advised that feeding still frozen foods to caudates can cause injury and illness due to internal frostbite, it is best to thaw frozen foods completely before offering them. Unlike mammals, reptiles and amphibians are unable to handle the cold temperatures internally.

I warn you though, caudates are addictive...but it is fun to be known as "the creepy salamander dude" at work...

:D

Last edited:
Be happy as long as they are lazy. That means they like it where they are. If they start to swim around alot it means they are stressed.

Some things you should think about it to keep your tank at 20 C or below. Having a bottle with water frozen in your fridge is a good way to keep the temperature down if it gets to hot. They can live in hotter water (i had my first in a 25C tank for a while when i was just new to axolotls) but it's not recomended.
Make sure you dont have too strong pump. Axolotls don't like strong waterflow, they will be stressed by this. If your axolotls gills are bent forward or its tail is curled then that's a indication of stress.

As for your goldfish... Allthough keeping fish with Axolotls aren't recomended that doesn't mean it cant work. I had my first axolotl in a fishtank with several other fishes and it worked great until my rainbow shark desided that the gills were snack. That shark was however the only fish to touch him.

Remember also to have twice as many hiding spots in your tank as there are axolotls...
A tip: If you feel that feeding him blood worm is a hazzle you can use other things aswell. Axolotls eat nearly all kinds of meat and fish. I try to mix the food up so they get a balanced diet. Usually i feed them with choped up shrimp or minced meat.

Good luck and give that petshop owner a piece of your mind ;)

I warn you though, caudates are addictive...but it is fun to be known as "the creepy salamander dude" at work...

:D

Haha that's kinda what they call me too. I think everyone is tired of my Axolotl stories... My girlfriend is repulsed by the sigh of axolotls... she think they look like human foedus :p
There is a girl at work though who loves them and want me to give her one when and if mine get babies...

Hi guys!

Thank you all so much for your help and advice, and I am really excited about the whole thing!

Just another question, as in one of my earlier posts....

OK, so I can actually 'quarantine' the Axie in a tub? What would I do with the water whilst he's in there? I think I'll do that tonight when I get home. What size tub?

Also, can I pick him up to move him, or use a net???

Hi Mike,

Always use a net to handle your axie as using your hands can remove their slime coat that they have.

You can quarantine your axie in a tub. As long as he has enough room to move about. I currently have my little baby who is just over an inch in length in a 1ft by 1/2ft (approx) glass tank with no substrate on the bottom. I clean the tank out every other day and fill with dechlorinated water, but i let the fresh water get to room tempertature before i pop him back in. When I feed him I just make sure i get all uneaten food out with a turkey baster, and also suck up any poop with the turkey baster too if its before cleaning time.

Claire.

Thanks. I have a large 'Celebrations' plastic tub full of water standing from this morning, from the tap. Would this be safe to use tonight? And can bottled still water be used as a substitute??

Hi Mike,

Always use a net to handle your axie as using your hands can remove their slime coat that they have.

You can quarantine your axie in a tub. As long as he has enough room to move about. I currently have my little baby who is just over an inch in length in a 1ft by 1/2ft (approx) glass tank with no substrate on the bottom. I clean the tank out every other day and fill with dechlorinated water, but i let the fresh water get to room tempertature before i pop him back in. When I feed him I just make sure i get all uneaten food out with a turkey baster, and also suck up any poop with the turkey baster too if its before cleaning time.

Claire.
Wow i really don't want to get invited over to you at thanksgiving ;) (not that UK celebrate that, do they?)

Hi Mike, I would invest in a bottle of de-chlorinator from a pet shop. Leaving water to stand only gets rid of Chlorine and not Chloramines which are still quite harmful to an axie. I'm sure bottled water can be used but if im wrong please somebody correct me.

Hi Vidofner, haha no we don't celebrate thankgiving over here. We only have the turkey at xmas. I think i'll just keep it a secret to the family that i use the turkey baster to suck up poop!!! haha!

Claire.

It's great living in sweden where we dont need to worry about dechlorising the tap water. Sweden one of the best tap waters in the world with close to no chlor in it :)

You guys need to buy water on a bottle if you wanna drink it right? If you do that in sweden you get a im-a-stupid-sign(wanted to write somethign else but the forum didn't allow it ;)) on your back

OK, I've just been out on my break and bought a small container which he'll have to move into for the time being. And is it a massive risk using the water I've left standing?? Just as a temporary thing?

I really need help!! Im worried for him!! But I can't get any dechlorinator until tomorrow :(

Cheers, Mike.

Hi Mike, Yeah he should be fine in that water until you get de-chlorinator tomorrow. Just aslong as you change his water as soon as you can tomorrow. I would put him in that water tonight as late as possible too. Or you could just leave him where he is until tomorrow?

Claire.

Short term will not be too much of an issue, but it is wise to "dechlorinate" all tap water.

Most dechlorinators (sodium thiosulfate and hydroxymethanesulfonic acid) also remove heavy metals and other nasties, which while not harmful to mammals, like us, they can be fatal to caudates, Copper is the most common amphibian-poisonous metal used in drinking water systems, quickly followed up by lead. Even aluminum and high concentrations of iron can be very, very bad for caudates.

Even if you are in a country with pristine municipal water available, you have no way of knowing what types of things it flows through on it's way to your tap.

The following article is very informative, even though the author got his Amquel and NovAqua ingredients mixed up:

http://www.alkalineh20works.com/nat...ua-start-right-ammo-lock-stress-coat-and-more

Hey

I wouldn't want to use the water unless it's been standing for at least 24 hours, as I'd be concerned that it would still have chlorine in it. Could you not nip to a Pets At Home or another big pet shop tonight as they're normally open until later (8ish or something)?

Zoe x

If you can't get the dechlorinator, I would just use the current tank water. Make sure you change it every day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back