axolotl temperature questions

rnocera

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axies have been in my living room since I got them, but I'd like to move them up to a larger tank in another room. I heat my snake/fish room to 80-82F year round. Do you think my axies would be OK in this room, or will this result in the water being too warm?

thanks,
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Axolotls need cold water in order to survive.

The optimum water temperatures for axolotls is 14-18 degrees celcius (57 - 65 Fahrenheit).

Axolotls will tolerate temperatures up to 22C (71F) if the water quality is good (warm water increases the toxidity of ammonia - this is of particular concern if the tank is still cycling).

If the water temperature hits 23C (73F) it's time to put aquarium cooling measures into effect.

Temperatures 24C (75F) and above will make the axolotl quite sick, and will lead to death.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much cooler the water is than standard room temperature. I know it's quite a bit cooler and that they've always done fine at room temp in the house. I just wasn't sure how 80 degree air temperature would translate to water temperature.

Everyone I've ever talked to in the states has always just kept their axies at room temp, and I know a lot of our country gets up to 80 degrees air temperature in the summer.

Here is an idea.

Get a Bucket, and fill it up with water.

Let it stand in you Snake room overnight, and measure it against room temp.

It is coming into winter here in Melbourne, and it is sometimes between 10-20 degrees during the day in my room.

My tank hasnt gone above 20 since early March, if that gives you any indication.

You can cool your tank many ways.

Fans, ice Block rotation, or if push comes to shove, A chiller.

Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back