Question: Cross Breeding

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Hi Guys!

Just out of curiousity, Would different Axies (for example, Leucistic and Wildtype) be able to successfully breed?

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Yes.

Genotype and phenotype do not affect breeding. Breeding these two would be no different than crossing two types of corn, or a pug dog and a chihuahua. It works, but you never know what you will get as a result.

It is a difference in species that prevents successful mating...however there are exceptions, especially between other members of Ambystomidae.

Here is further reading on the topic:

http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

And, if you are really interested: Google "Punnet Square" and you can learn how to actually predict the odds of what geno and phenotypes you can get from such a cross.

Of course.
They are all the same species, they can all breed with each other. Leucistics, albinos, etc are only colour variations, they are still the same species(at least on the essentials..¬¬).

Hi!

So, the colour variation from such cross breeding - would it be male or female dominant? Or would it result in a mix of coloured babies?

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

From my one and only experience male:albino + female:wildtype, the offspring are varying shades of both......so it is all down to chance......

I'm not sure what you mean by male and female dominant.

But if you cross bred a leucistic and a wildtype, depending on what recessive genes the parents carried, you would get wildtype offspring, with the possibility of leucistic, albino, and melanoid, IF! the parents are recessive for those genes.

I'm not sure what you mean by male and female dominant.

But if you cross bred a leucistic and a wildtype, depending on what recessive genes the parents carried, you would get wildtype offspring, with the possibility of leucistic, albino, and melanoid, IF! the parents are recessive for those genes.

I'm not clued up on genetics so what I meant was, say for example in humans, colour would largely go by father. Is it the same with axies?

Cheers:hat:

Negative.

Sex has very little to do with it in this case. (Statemenet based on experience, I could be very wrong here...)

I think you might be referring to the dominance of specific genes. In the case of axolotls, especially albino axolotls, it really is a crapshoot as to what you will get. My main breeding pair were a leucistic male and a xanthic albino female. They threw every "color" type at random. Some batches would have a few wild types, some were all leucistic and albino. I find, anytime albinism is in the mix, anything can happen.

An interesting example of this is if you were to cross a GFP albino with a normal albino. (I do not know if the GFP trait is dominant or not, I am not a big fan of genetic toys) Lets pretend the GFP is recessive. The F1 spawning would produce no visibly GFP offspring, however the next generation from breeding siblings, some of these offspring would. Some would not, and some would be carriers, just like the F1 spawning.

Last edited:
Negative.

An interesting example of this is if you were to cross a GFP albino with a normal albino. (I do not know if the GFP trait is dominant or not, I am not a big fan of genetic toys) Lets pretend the GFP is recessive. The F1 spawning would produce no visibly GFP offspring, however the next generation from breeding siblings, some of these offspring would. Some would not, and some would be carriers, just like the F1 spawning.

Now it's really confusing. GFP is not simple recessive. Why pretend and farther cloud the explanation? F1 from a gfp normal cross do produce soe gfps.

Merely using GFP as an example that "stands out" from the "old standards".

My apologies if that example is confusing.

I'm not clued up on genetics so what I meant was, say for example in humans, colour would largely go by father.

'Color' in humans is not a simple recessive/dominant thing, especially with skin. Skin color is almost always some color in between the mother and father. And I'm pretty sure it's not sex-linked with any color genes, like hair and eyes. There are a few sex-linked characteristics, but these aren't on the list.

Hi Mike,

I'm not really into all the genetics either. But basically you can get any colour.

My personal experience breeding different colours, you're more than likely going to get colour variations of the parents - however you can get any colour (I assume based on the family tree of the parent).

I also second SludgeMunkey on the Albino Wildcard! I've been getting a variety of colours from Albino females bred with non-albino males.

Cheers, Phil

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back