Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about brumation

nir

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a mature pair of S. s. salamandra. They are quite fat right now. I would like to breed them and for that, I understand they must be brumated at temperatures quite low.

First, they have never been brumated in my possession and I have had them for three years.

My first question is, can I brumate them trough out the summer (for 2 months, june + july)? I don't see why not, but I'd still like to have the experienced breeders opinions. If I do this, it is convenient as it permits me to make them skip the two hottest months of the year where I have a little hard time keeping temperatures low.

My second question is, when you guys brumate, do you store your salamanders in the fridge at 4-5 C like I have seen suggested in some litterature? If so, do you acclimate your salamanders gradually at such temperatures? Or do you put them directly in the frigde??

Thanks alot for anyone who takes the time to answer my questions!!

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Steve Roman

Reaction score
In the past I have cooled down S.s. teristris to only about 40-50'F with success. I only cooled them during the winter months, Dec-Feb. Remember that breeding times among the various populations of Salamandra varies as the species is quite far ranging. With Salamandra salamandra light periodicity issues also may be involved that could affect your success. Some of our European members should be able to advise you better on these issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1