tank divider for the frisky duo

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dana
Tonight, I moved the male FBN out of the female's tank. I have him in his own 10 Gal. and she is in the same 10 gallon tank in which she has always lived. I have three other containers being utilized to accomodate the larva hatching at different stages: another 10 Gal aquarium, a plastic shoe box-type of container (15 Liter, I believe) and a critter keeper. I did some juggling to put the group of larva with the highest numbers into the other 10 gallon tank, the four oldest larva in the shoe box and kept the middle age range larva in the critter keeper. However, there are 11 of them, and they will soon need more space. Could I put the adult male back w/ the female but use a tank divider? I don't want any further reproduction occurring and assume a divider would stop that. However, I don't want them too cramped, either.

Please advise and thank you,
Dana

A tank divider should work just fine. I don't think 5 gallons per newt would be too cramped, especially if this is only temporary. You could just forget about the tank divider and stick him back in, they'll snack on the eggs or any resulting larvae.

Greatwtehunter;189883 You could just forget about the tank divider and stick him back in said:
Oh, spoken like a true man - let him have his woman and all he can eat! Just kidding! I don't think I'm comfortable letting nature take its course here. Once I see larva, I count them, then the boys start to name them, then they're our "pets" and we'd be upset if they were suddenly not there!

I'll pick up the divider this evening. Thanks for your input!

Dana

*grins and chuckles*

I love what you said! I now have a vision of an "all you can eat" smorgasboard taking shape in your young male newt's mind!:proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back