Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Rock

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
You can never go wrong with using slate. Some members even get it cut large enough to use it as a tank bottom.

One type of rock that I think you need to steer clear of is limestone due to the fact that it will increase your PH. At least I think thats the case, if not, someone else will chime in and correct me.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
You can never go wrong with using slate. Some members even get it cut large enough to use it as a tank bottom.

I agree to some extent, however be aware of the source. Fine grained sedimentary rock like slate and shale are notorious for containing high amounts of naturally occurring hydrocarbons dependent on the source. That is, they can leach what is basically crude oil into your water. Red slate contains high amounts of iron and other metals, so it to can be problematic for some set ups. A simple "smell test" can provide you with what you need to know for hydrocarbons. Simply break off a piece of the slate and smell what geologists call the "fresh face" If it stinks like anything other than nothing, avoid using it. My favorite source for slate is the scraps from a local counter top shop. (I get them for free!)

One type of rock that I think you need to steer clear of is limestone due to the fact that it will increase your PH. At least I think that's the case, if not, someone else will chime in and correct me.

Limestone should definately be avoided due to pH changes, it is naturally very alkaline.

My personal top reccomendations are medium to fine grained granite, quartzite, sandstone, and water polished marble.

Avoid any rock that has naturally occuring green colors in them as this is most often various forms of copper which can leach into your water.

One option I use for an extra safety net is to brush on a thin coat or two of epoxy or urethane to seal the rocks completely. It may take a few coats on especially rough rocks, but the advantages out weigh the time spent doing this. First and foremost the sealant makes vivaria cleaning a snap, second, it gives the stones a pleasing wet look,that enhances the natural colors in the stone.

Vid is also correct, avoid anything with sharp edges.

Last edited:

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Mike

There are two very simple ways to test rock to be sure they are safe for your aquarium. The first method uses Muriatic Acid (MA). This can be found at either a swimming pool supply store or possibly a hydroponic supply store. To test any given rock, put a few drops of MA on the rock, wait a couple of seconds and watch for bubbles. If bubbles are seen, this rock is NOT safe. Distilled white vinegar can also be used in a pinch. The MA test is more accurate though.

One point to remember is some rocks are made up of a conglomerate of differing minerals and smaller rocks. It would be a good idea to test each rock in numerous places. This test can also be used to verify you choice of substrate for compatibility.

Below is a list of rocks that are safe for aquarium use.

Safe Rocks:

• Crystalline Quartz
  • (Rock Crystal, Amethyst, Citrine, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz)
  • Granite
  • Jade
  • Lava Rock
  • Microcrystalline Quartz
    (Jasper, Agate, Chalcedony, Sard, Carnelian)
  • Onyx
  • Petrified Wood
  • Quartz
  • Slate

Unsafe Rocks:

• Coal
    (Commercially harvested coal is treated with an oil by-product to reduce dust)
  • Coral
  • Dolomite
  • Fools Gold
    (or any other rock with metallic veins--Acid Producing)
  • Fossils
  • Limestone
  • Marble
  • Sandstone
  • Feldspar
I hope this helps

nora

Reaction score
Thank you!
I have several pieces of petrified wood,quartz crystal, and a large piece of feldspar. I'll omit the feldspar and take advantage of the petrified wood for my axie tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1