Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

two days later...

yager

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to know what you guys think...
Picture019-1.jpg
and two days later...
Picture041-1.jpg
I guess i can't post pics, why???

yager

Reaction score
The breeder i got them from said he keeps the young ones like this in tupperware, and changes the water every two to three days. He said that axolotl's don't like moving water so that this is best and its easier to keep the water clean with 100% water changes. He was feeding the young on live black worms.... i don't have any and he said i could switch them over to newt pellets but two days later and they still aren't eating. Losing weight fast at two inches and i'm starting to worry alot about them. In order to post a pic, do i have to have it in my gallery on this site first?

tran

Reaction score
Hi

Have a read here on how to post images (you don't need them on your gallery first). http://www.caudata.org/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly. Your axolotls are 2 inches long and you want to feed them "newt pellets." If that's the case, I'm not sure they will eat. Larvae axolotls often need the stimulation of live food because of their poor eyesight.

If you cannot find blackworms, maybe you should try dropping bits of thawed bloodworms near their heads. They can sense lateral movement. My larvae axolotls responded very well to dropping food at their heads; it's a good way to train them to receive pellets later too. My axolotls did not take to pellets until they were 7 inches long and ate nothing but blackworms and thawed bloodworms until 4 inches long. You can find frozen bloodworms at your local fish store. The Hikari brand is my favorite.

Did you happen to read through these helpful pages yet? They will give you more information on food.

http://axolotl.org/feeding.htm
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

Hope this helps.

yager

Reaction score
This is what one looked like on wednesday... and then today still not eating, tried the frozen blood worms a few hours ago. The second picture you can tell he is losing weight fast! Is this size cup appropriate for rearing these 2 inchers with 100% water changes every 2-3 days? I am using Aquarium Pharmaceudicals brand dechlorinator from Petco mixing it in one gallon jugs of tap water. These animals are stressed I believe because the day after i purchased them l did not turn my air conditioner on and the temp of the apartment got to about 80 degrees. The albino on the left in the last pic was floating but alive and the leucistic seemed fine. I put them in the fridge at 49 degrees and the albino has stopped floating, I don't know if that was because of the temp in the fridge or what. Will they feed in the fridge, are they too small for the fridge? If I can find something for them to munch on in the fridge what would you suggest? I just want to save them, they both seem to want to float when i take them out of the fridge.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 155

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Yager,

I think you are right on track about the high temperature causing stress. Cooling them down is a good strategy. http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

You would ultimately have to get a bigger tank to house the axies. Because of the absence of a filter and the small volume of water in the cup, frequent water changes will be necessary as the wastes buildup cannot be effectively removed otherwise.

Regards

yager

Reaction score
Thank you, but will small axolotl's survive in fridges for very long? Also will this be a good way for me to get them eating again and reduce stress? I am trying the dropping of frozen blood worms in front of their heads method waiting a couple hours and then changing their water out. Every once in awhile the leucistic eats this way but the albino won't eat anything. Any input here would be awsome. THANXS!

ferret_corner

Reaction score
As long as you don't freeze him solid a cold fridge won't hurt him. The metabolism slowing down is the same for adults as well as juveniles.

Regardless. Will your heat stressed non eating axolotl survive without the fridging? As a juvenile it has far less mass to lose than a fully grown adult. They put all their energy into growing, not storing reserves.

Good luck and I hope you post back that you've been able fridge your axie.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Yager,

The fridge is an excellent method to destress an axolotl (axolotls love the cold) but it is not too helpful when it comes to encourageing an inappetant axolotl to eat as the axolotl's metabolism is slowed right down.

Is there a cool place in the house where you are able to keep the axolotls water temperature below 23C? Water temperatures above 23C will stress the axolotls, leading quickly to illness, and death.

An axolotl will not eat if he or she is stressed.

I would try leaving the food in with the axolotl for a couple of hours, and cover the container with a teatowel or similar (as the dark, cool and secure environment should encourage the axolotl to eat).

If the bloodworm is not working for that axolotl, try finely chopped earthworm (portion sizes should be about as long as the axolotls mouth is wide) or live blackworm.

Those containers look a little small. An icecream container (4 litres) or a bucket will give the axolotls a little more space (they grow quickly) and the increase in water volume will also help dillute the axolotl's wastes more efficiently.

If you cannot keep the temperature within the axolotl's favored range of temperatures (14C - 22C), then the fridge will be the best place for them.

A fridging guide: http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
I think you freaking out over nothing ,they don't look skinney to me. Just gone from full stomach to empty, Give them a bigger container and more water and try feeding them live food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!