Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Question about salamander tadpoles.

CrestedTern

Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new here and I've got a quick question.

I recently got a clump of salamander eggs and they've hatched now and I'm trying to find something to feed them...
Any suggestions?

I've heard that I could feed them baby brine shrimp but is there anything else they'll eat??

Thanks for the suggestions!!

CrestedTern

Reaction score
They will eat bbs, microworms, or daphnia. You should have figured that out long before they hatched though...

madeve

Reaction score
I agree that you should have been better prepared to feed your larvae. The food BC suggested are good choices, I would add chopped blackworms to that list.

oregon newt

Reaction score
For the first couple days after they hatch, you won't have to feed them because they'll be feeding off of their yolk sack. Caudata Culture has some artciles on raising larvae.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Another suggestion I thought I'd throw in is mosquito larvae. They can be readily found in most areas of still water and I've found that they are readily accepted. There is some useful information on the topic in the live foods section of the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!