New Tank!!

flan123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Mike
Hi Guys,

So, I puirchased a 30x12x15 tank, got my filter up and running yesterday and I will be adding a couple of Anubias tomorrow.

I'm chosing not to have any substrate, but plenty of big rocks, and hiding places for Ron!

I'm so excited.

Does the cycling process begin when I insert plants?

Also, where can I get an all-in-one testing kit??

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

Hi Mike,

The cycling process will start as soon as there is something to decompose, a small piece of food is another choice, but plant matter will produce the same result.

The rest is down to regular water changes and tests. The absolute best things for tank cycling are patience and time.

Good Luck

Hi Mike,

You can obtain master test kits from most aquarium shops. Ensure that you get the colourimetric solution based type test kit. I am not sure of other brands but i personally use an API master test kit. It comes along with all the tests you would require.

Cheers.

The API master kit has tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and ph, its a good one

Mel

Hi!

I added four plants to the water today (but I can't remember what they are called! something like 'bonga' and 'illunga' maybe??)

So, now I need to purchase a testing kit. And whats the reccommended frequency for water changes?

Hi Melfly!

Thanks. Where are they available readily?

Thanks, Mike.;)
Hi Mike
I bought mine from ebay for around £17 - £20
might sound a lot but it is definately worth it!!
You can get them from most pet shops too i believe
Mel

Last edited:
You can also cycle using household ammonia or just flakes of fish food,
I can get you the info on fishless cycling or at least provide a link
let me know

Mel

Hi!

I added four plants to the water today (but I can't remember what they are called! something like 'bonga' and 'illunga' maybe??)

So, now I need to purchase a testing kit. And whats the reccommended frequency for water changes?

You dont really need water changes if your doing it without axolotls in, just a couple at the end

Mel

You can also cycle using household ammonia or just flakes of fish food,
I can get you the info on fishless cycling or at least provide a link
let me know

Mel

That would be excellent, thanks. I'm trying to find that particular info but I can't!!

Hi Mel!

So, what you're saying is, a tank can be cycled with an Axolotl present?

It can but its better if you do it without (less stress for your axolotl)
I have PM'd you a link

Mel

Last edited:
Hi Mel!

Thanks. I'm at work but will certainly look at that properly when I get in. It seems difficult to get your head round.

I'm not going to do this - but how would you cycle a tank with an axolotl in? Wouldn't that be harmful?

Also, I have two gold fish. Should I cycle with the fish present?

Hi Mel!

Thanks. I'm at work but will certainly look at that properly when I get in. It seems difficult to get your head round.

I'm not going to do this - but how would you cycle a tank with an axolotl in? Wouldn't that be harmful?

Also, I have two gold fish. Should I cycle with the fish present?

How long have you had the fish? your not planning to keep the axolotl with the fish are you?
If you have had them a while their tank could already have cycled, you need to do the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite tests

Mel

Hi!

The goldfish are in a seperate tank. I'm not planning on keeping them with the axie, but maybe though they would assist the cycling temporarily?

Hi Mike

I get my test kits from a garden/aquarium centre - the one I use is a Nutrafin Mini Master test kit - in it you get tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH (all of which need testing, though you'll probably want to test ammonia and nitrite more frequently).

It's normally £18 at the shop where I get it, but they had a special offer on last time and it was £15 :D.

In it, you get two test tubes, a pippette and lots of bottles of testing solution - it honestly feels a bit like a junior chemist set! You want to get this kind of test, not the test strip kind though, as they're apparently not as good.

The two places near me that sell them are Bardills and Wharf Aquatics - both have a website, so you should be able to order from them, if you can't find anything nearby.

In regards to cycling, I started off using freeze dried brineshrimp, which was a BIG mistake, as it was really messy, left loads of fluffy s**t all over the tank, which took ages to get properly cleaned up - I think using frozen food would be better, as freezedried just turned to mush :(

Cheers

Zoe x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back