Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Upgrade question

jacksonuk

Reaction score
Hey all.

At the moment i've got "Poncho", a 5" axolotl in a 2' tank and am looking to upgrade over the next few months to a 3 - possibly a 4' tank. How would I go about adding another Axolotl to the tank and what are the possible problems?

I'm thinking (Since poncho even attacks a net when put near him) that a plastic tank divider might be an idea to begin with to get them kind of used to each others looks and smells. The new axolotl/axolotls will be the same size as poncho to prevent any competition.

Any ideas/experience welcome :)

callina

Reaction score
I never had any problems when putting same-sized axies together in a tank. They always were "friendly", no attacks. The only thing you should consider, is to quarantine the new one for 30 days, to make sure that it´s healthy.

jacksonuk

Reaction score
How likely are they to bite each others limbs? Does it matter what sex they are?

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Jacksonuk

Juvenile axolotls tend to be more aggressive then adults. It doesn't seem to matter about the sex and most bites seem to be caused at feeding axolotls arent the gentlest of eaters.

Good news is axolotls can regenerate lost limbs. I have two tanks with 4 in each and no missing limbs but a couple of tail bites nothing serious though.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When hungry, an axolotl will snap at movement and will sometimes mistake a tankmate's limb for food. I feed my axolotls at opposite ends of the tank to prevent 'accidents'. Sometimes accidents will happen though outside of feeding time (being nocturnal axolotls are most active at night), that's just part of the risk of having more than one axolotl in a tank.

As long as the axolotls are well fed and have plenty of hides so they can spend 'time out' from one another, they should be fine.

Axolotls do well alone or in company with other axolotls.

If a male and female axolotl share a tank, sooner or later you are bound to end up with eggs. If you don't wish them to breed this could be considered 'a problem'. Axolotls have been known to foil a tank divider. The only way to guarantee no breeding is to keep the male and female in seperate tanks, or have two axolotls of the same gender.

As Callina has advised, it is imperative that the new axolotl be quarantined for at least 30 days before being introduced to the tank.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Jacksonuk,

Wildtype axies also tend to be more naturally aggressive and appear to preferentially attack non wildtype axies (other colour types). If your current axie is a wildtype, and you intend to keep another axie, you might like to consider another wildtype (perhaps a different shade).

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!