Hello Peoples!

ampthefrogguy

Reaction score
Country
United States
:rolleyes: Heyllo everyone, im a noob! i live in CA and loooove amphibians. Frogs are my favorite animal, but all amphibs and reptiles are awesomeness! Im currently trying to get an Axolotl and thats how i heard of this website! ( i would appreciate info on that but this isnt the right forum..) Anyways its cool to be here.

It is illegal to possess axolotls, sell axolotls, buy axolotls, receive axolotls from out of state (or ship to California from another state, even if axolotls are legal to possess in that other state), and any other activity you can think of that involves having anything to do with a real axolotl in California.

However, welcome to the forum. I think you should look at a different genus of salamanders if you want a salamander pet.

Rules are rules I guess. :(

In Australia the only caudate we are allowed to own is an axolotl.

Actually since my mom is a veterinarian, I've managed to find a local place
that I can buy from. :happy:

Actually since my mom is a veterinarian, I've managed to find a local place that I can buy from. :happy:
I don't think that helps you legally. The only places that can have them in that state are research labs, and even if you get some from a research lab you still can't own them. You should also know that we may be obligated to report known violations of local laws like this.

That sucks. I guess i wont be able to have one. Sad Face. I don't want to get in trouble.
Especially for an animal. I was under the impression that local businesses couldn't sell, ship, buy, etc? I didn't think it was illegal to own one in CA. Are you sure? Link me to the page please....and thanks.

How bout Tiger Salamanders? Their the whole big deal about not having Axies in CA...Are they legal to own? I may need to make a switch...

Yes I'm sure. Please do a search on our forum for california and tiger salamanders or california and axolotls. I won't be replying to this thread again.

Hey John, sorry for the confusion, but I was talking about different families, such as Salamandridae or Plethodontidae. I said other than Ambystomids, not other Ambystomids.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back